Nitrate level over 20 ppm. What should I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

32blownhemi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Nitrate level is over 20 ppm. What should I do? 2 3/4 gal tank. I'm thinking I should replace a gallon or so of water. Should I use Neutral Regulator 7.0? Prime? Or both? Thank You! Bill Crown Tail Beta...

I always use prime when doing my water change. When my ppm comes up on my nitrates I normally do a 20% water change leave it, test it see if it's coming down then if it's not then take out another and replace and the seams to work for me. Then again do have a 50 gallon tank

Thank You Mulch05! I'll do it now... Then if it's still high in the morning I'll do another. Bill

Ok, took out a little more than 2 quarts (app 20% of 2 3/4 gal), tested again & maybe a little lower but not much. I'll check it again in the morning...

Thank You Reygan2! I will change out more of the water tomorrow (to equal 1/2 if counting tonight). What type of plants? I'll go get some... Don't know if it makes a difference but I use the special water that the fish store sells... I noticed after I stirred the tank water up by siphoning that my water is pretty dirty... Think I overfeed... But he is always hungry! Thanks again! Bill

The % of water you change is the % the nitrate will be reduced.
So if you are at 30ppm and you change 50% you should end up in the 15ppm area.
Done properly you can change water[part of it] a couple times in one day or just remove more then 50% if you want to lower it even more..
I change 50-90% depending on tank and stocking.
Match temp ,dechlorinate . No need for special water at all unless something is wrong with your source which does not sound like the case.

Thank You Reygan2! I will change out more of the water tomorrow (to equal 1/2 if counting tonight). What type of plants? I'll go get some... Don't know if it makes a difference but I use the special water that the fish store sells... I noticed after I stirred the tank water up by siphoning that my water is pretty dirty... Think I overfeed... But he is always hungry! Thanks again! Bill

Research low light plants. The faster growing plants, such as water sprite or floating plants will help, but the best way to keep nitrate levels in check is routine water changes.

Thank You Coral & Reygan2! I change 50% now & 50% in am... I will research plants... Bill

Hello Bill...

Nitrates are the end result of the nitrogen cycle. At lower levels, this form of nitrogen isn't toxic. Random large water changes aren't the best thing for maintaining a stable water chemistry, which is all the fish need for good health. Change most of the water, 50 percent or more weekly. That's it. Be consistent, no slacking. Success in this hobby is really quite simple. Just change most of the water the same time every week and you'll have no tank problems.

B

Hello B, Thank You! but I should have logged in before I changed more water rater than after. I just finished changing a gallon. I think tomorrow I'll go get a bigger aquarium. Mine is so small it still looks dirty. Then I'll mark it down & change 1/2 weekly. He doesn't seem to like water changes, he gets all hyper about it. And they ruin his 'bubble nests'... Thanks again! Bill

Back
Top Bottom