Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-26-2018, 02:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Nitrate level over 20 ppm. What should I do?

My Nitrate level is over 20 ppm. What should I do? 2 3/4 gal tank. I'm thinking I should replace a gallon or so of water. Should I use Neutral Regulator 7.0? Prime? Or both? Thank You! Bill Crown Tail Beta...

Old 05-26-2018, 02:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I always use prime when doing my water change. When my ppm comes up on my nitrates I normally do a 20% water change leave it, test it see if it's coming down then if it's not then take out another and replace and the seams to work for me. Then again do have a 50 gallon tank

Old 05-26-2018, 03:24 AM   #3

Thank You Mulch05! I'll do it now... Then if it's still high in the morning I'll do another. Bill
Old 05-26-2018, 06:41 AM   #4

Ok, took out a little more than 2 quarts (app 20% of 2 3/4 gal), tested again & maybe a little lower but not much. I'll check it again in the morning...
Old 05-26-2018, 07:08 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Change half the water weekly and add plants.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:12 AM   #6

Thank You Reygan2! I will change out more of the water tomorrow (to equal 1/2 if counting tonight). What type of plants? I'll go get some... Don't know if it makes a difference but I use the special water that the fish store sells... I noticed after I stirred the tank water up by siphoning that my water is pretty dirty... Think I overfeed... But he is always hungry! Thanks again! Bill
Old 05-26-2018, 08:21 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The % of water you change is the % the nitrate will be reduced.
So if you are at 30ppm and you change 50% you should end up in the 15ppm area.
Done properly you can change water[part of it] a couple times in one day or just remove more then 50% if you want to lower it even more..
I change 50-90% depending on tank and stocking.
Match temp ,dechlorinate . No need for special water at all unless something is wrong with your source which does not sound like the case.
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:22 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32blownhemi View Post
Thank You Reygan2! I will change out more of the water tomorrow (to equal 1/2 if counting tonight). What type of plants? I'll go get some... Don't know if it makes a difference but I use the special water that the fish store sells... I noticed after I stirred the tank water up by siphoning that my water is pretty dirty... Think I overfeed... But he is always hungry! Thanks again! Bill

Research low light plants. The faster growing plants, such as water sprite or floating plants will help, but the best way to keep nitrate levels in check is routine water changes.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:56 AM   #9

Thank You Coral & Reygan2! I change 50% now & 50% in am... I will research plants... Bill
Old 05-27-2018, 09:39 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello Bill...

Nitrates are the end result of the nitrogen cycle. At lower levels, this form of nitrogen isn't toxic. Random large water changes aren't the best thing for maintaining a stable water chemistry, which is all the fish need for good health. Change most of the water, 50 percent or more weekly. That's it. Be consistent, no slacking. Success in this hobby is really quite simple. Just change most of the water the same time every week and you'll have no tank problems.

B

Tags
ate, level, nitrate, nitrate level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com