Nitrate level too high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Fritz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 29 gal. freshwater tank with 18 small fish in it. I test the water every week and all is good except the nitrate level. Never any ammonia or nitrite. I do periodic water changes, (about 8 to 9 gallons) and add treated and heated water, but still end up with large nitrate levels.

I put the Nitra-Zorb filter pad in my filter and recharge it every 6 or 7 days, and it's only 6 weeks old now, but not working. (It did seem to work at first). I've also used Tetra's Easy Balance Plus, but that doesn't seem to be very effective. What am I missing here? What don't I know? :(

Nitrate Level Too High

There is no nitrate in the tap water. I checked. Only chlorine, for which I add Prime or Quick Start.
The filter is cleaned weekly and the filter cartridge is replaced every three weeks.
The fish are mostly small tetras and swordfish, and 2 Bala Sharks. They are the only ones getting large. I've had the tank set up since Feb. 1st. and to date no dead fish.

I only feed them what they can eat in about 2 minutes or less.

The nitrate level was at about 80ppm when I tested yesterday, so I did a partial water change today. (about 40% of the water). I will test again tomorrow.

I've been reading that changing the water more often is probably the best way to control the nitrate.

80 is fairly high .
Most like 40ppm to be max before water change .
The % of water you change out with 0 ppm water is the % the nitrate will be reduced ..
So with 80ppm and your 40% water change you should be about 48-50 ppm still.
Try to do another 50% tomorrow and you should be in the 20's.
Then check your level again next weekend.
Most just do 50% water changes but some don't need that much . Every tank is different.

Nitrate Level Too High

Thanks for the advise. That's exactly what I will do. And in the future I will keep a closer eye on things and change more water more often.

There's a basic law of nature that says"No organism can exist is an environment of its own waste".

That's why we must be ever vigilant to keep our fish alive.

Hello Jim...

Keeping fish healthy is really simple. They just need most of their tank water removed and replaced the same time every week. I'd recommend changing at least half the water. This will maintain a steady water chemistry. The only chemical you need is one that removes chlorine and chloramine from the water and detoxes nitrogen. I use Seachem's 'Safe". That's it. Keep other chemicals out of the water and your fish will be fine.

B

Nitrate Level Too High

I tend to over think everything. Maybe I should just try to keep it simple.
But the weekly water change sounds like the way to go. Thanks a lot. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom