Nitrate levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiesto643

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, im just getting into testing my water, ive just done my second test, is it correct that nitrate levels up to about 40ppm are ok, or should i be doing something about lowering this? The attached picture shows the test I've just done after my midweek 30% water change. Nitrates look about 40. What do the nitrate levels mean?

Attachments

• image-482502388.jpg
    image-482502388.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 58
Thanks, do u know what causes higher nitrate? I guess just some more regular water changes for a while will get it down?

Nitrates are the end product in the cycle your beneficial bacteria starts. Ammonia to nitrite and then to nitrates. There is no bb to breakdown nitrates any further so pwc's and plants are your best bet.:)

Cichlid Kid said:
Nitrates are the end product in the cycle your beneficial bacteria starts. Ammonia to nitrite and then to nitrates. There is no bb to breakdown nitrates any further so pwc's and plants are your best bet.:)

Or your tap is full of trates

I tend to do a 30% change twice a week, but sometimes miss the midweek one so do 40-50% on the weekend if that happens.

I'm not sure im ready for real plants, so I guess I'll start doing a 30% every other day and see how that goes.

Test your tap water if its high its going to be high in the tank. Wait about an hour after a water change and test to see if it came down. If it only goes down a little you may need to go to doing a 50% twice a week. Or add easy low light plants

Great thanks, sorry last question, if I test my tap water, what level of nitrate would be classed as high for tap water?

Thanks very much

Tiesto643 said:
Great thanks, sorry last question, if I test my tap water, what level of nitrate would be classed as high for tap water?

Thanks very much

For the tank it should read 0 ammonia 0 nitrite nitrate under 40

As long as the tap is really close to 0 like .25 it should be safe to use. Nitrates need to be under 40

Ok so I've now done a test of my tap water. See photo. The nitrate in my tap water doesn't look too bad, looks more like 10 - 20, so it's not as high as the tank. So I guess my high tank levels aren't really due to the tap water. So I'll do the more water changes and may go to my LFS at the weekend and see about some of those plants you suggested.

Back
Top Bottom