Nitrate Levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dodger

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I have 3 fantail goldfish in my 180 litre tank and all levels are good, but I always have nitrates of between 20-40 ppm.

Is this acceptable/normal for a goldfish tank?

Thanks.

Water Chemistry

Hi all,

I have 3 fantail goldfish in my 180 litre tank and all levels are good, but I always have nitrates of between 20-40 ppm.

Is this acceptable/normal for a goldfish tank?

Thanks.

Hello Dodger...

Nitrates are at the end of the nitrogen cycle. So, this form of nitrogen isn't a problem for healthy, hardy fish. Goldfish are exceptionally hardy. A nitrate level of 40 ppm isn't bad. If you remove and replace most of the tank water every week, the water chemistry will remain steady and your fish will be fine.

B

Thanks B,

Yea they are all very healthy, I am changing about 1/3 of the tank water every week, may be I should do at least half or maybe more?

If you are getting 20-40 then you are right where you want to be. If the tank and fish are healthy I wouldn't change a thing.

Thanks, everything else is spot on, so wanted to make sure if I needed to do anything or not about the nitrates.

I thought that was all attached to the filter housing and gravel etc.

At the moment I am doing about a 1/3 water change per week and water parameters are unaffected.

I do a 50% water change usually once a month, which I might start doing every week.

I have read that some people do 50% or even 90% water changes each week for a goldfish aquarium.

BB are *attached* to pretty much everything but the water LEAST of all - gravel, ornaments, your mechanical filter & it's media the most. Large water changes will dilute dilute any unwanted/unhealthy substances in the water (**assuming** they're done properly with dechlorinator, Prime etc). Hubby has an overstocked 125g and is a chronic overfeeder("I gave them more because there's so many and they are acting SO hungry"[emoji37]) and I try change out 50-75 at least once a week, twice if I can. He still loses the odd fish here and there but the Kribs, Swords & Platys are breeding so I figure I am doing something right[emoji57]

Back
Top Bottom