Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2019, 07:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nitrate levels.

I confess that I have gotten complacent with my twenty gallon tank. It is stable and has been puttering along with healthy, happy fish.
Because of issues Iíve missed a couple of cleanings this winter and havenít been testing as often as I should.
I did a twenty percent winter change yesterday and tested my water for the first time in a month and everything was good but the nitrate levels which were between forty and eighty.
Today I did another twenty percent change and now itís between twenty and forty, judging from the color.
My question is. Is a nitrate around forty safe? Iíve always been around twenty before.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

20-40 is the target range. Anything above 40 is getting into unsafe territory.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok thanks. Iíll probably do another water change in a couple of days and check it again.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like you could do a 40-50% water change weekly and it would keep the nitrates below or at 40 ppm by the next water change.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks. Because my tank has been so stable Iíve been lazy this winter. Time to step up my aquarium care.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:33 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello wen...

Small water changes do little to maintain a steady water chemistry. Gradually work up to the point you change out half every week. If you do this, you can omit completely or perform several maintenance tasks much less often. For example, you won't need to test the tank water. This more aggressive water change routine will guarantee a steady, healthy water chemistry. You won't need to service your filter system as often, because it will just be filtering water that's already clean. You won't need to vacuum the bottom material. The organic matter that collects on the bottom, dissolves in the water. By removing the water, you'll remove most of the dissolved toxins and what's left after the water change is diluted to a safe level in the new, treated tap water.

B
Old 04-28-2019, 03:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nitrate levels.

Update. I have gotten my nitrates under control I am doing 40% water changes weekly and no the nitrates are stable at between 10 and twenty..
Old 04-28-2019, 04:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Awesome. You're good to go.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nitrates

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy fm View Post
I confess that I have gotten complacent with my twenty gallon tank. It is stable and has been puttering along with healthy, happy fish.
Because of issues Iíve missed a couple of cleanings this winter and havenít been testing as often as I should.
I did a twenty percent winter change yesterday and tested my water for the first time in a month and everything was good but the nitrate levels which were between forty and eighty.
Today I did another twenty percent change and now itís between twenty and forty, judging from the color.
My question is. Is a nitrate around forty safe? Iíve always been around twenty before.
Hello Wendy...

Nitrates are the end result of the nitrogen cycle, so even your readings aren't bad for a short time. An 80 reading would pose a problem if it was to remain this high for several days. But a 20 gallon tank needs at least a 50 percent water change weekly. A week is really pushing the limits of a water change routine. 20 gallons of water really won't dilute the waste material of even a few fish for very long. I'd change half the water every few days. This will keep the water high in oxygen and replace the minerals the fish use and those that are changed simply from going through a filter system so many times.

B

Tags
ate, level, nitrate, nitrate level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com