Nitrate/nitrite levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roffy25

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I'm new to keeping a tropical aquarium... I have a Juwel Rio 125litre tank and it's been cycling for about 4weeks now with fish and basically the nitrate/nitrite levels don't seem to decrease... Did a 10% partial water change earlier today and tested it again 10mins ago and it's still really high at:
3ppm nitrite
80ppm nitrates

Is it a case where I should just not worry about it too much and it'll go down over time or is there something I'm not doing right?

If anyone can help me on this I'd be very grateful!!

you need to be doing more than a 10% w/c. You should do, IMO at least 50% pwc back to back to back until you get the levels down. You should definitely worry because those levels are toxic to fish. Of course be sure to use dechlorinated water which is the same temperature as your tank. Have you been doing w/c's all along? What kind of test kit are you using? API master test kit is much more accurate than the strips. What is your ammonia at?

Yea I been doing w/c every week... You think I should be doing 50% w/c a few times a week? Trouble is the tap water I use also has nitrate in it at around 20ppm.

Atm I've only got API 5 in 1 test strips and have a feeling I should invest in a more accurate test kit as it doesn't test for ammo!

Yea I been doing w/c every week... You think I should be doing 50% w/c a few times a week? Trouble is the tap water I use also has nitrate in it at around 20ppm.

Atm I've only got API 5 in 1 test strips and have a feeling I should invest in a more accurate test kit as it doesn't test for ammo!

I agree, 50% PWC each time which can be as often as every day or so. Test strips are notoriously inaccurate and I'd suggest you get the API Master test kit. In the end it's a lot cheaper and the accuracy is far better for FW aquariums.

The nitrItes (no2) should be kept as close to 0ppm as possible, ammonia too. NitrAtes (n03) are safe up to 40ppm, but 20ppm from you tap is a lot better than what's in you tank now. I'd also like to suggest you use Seachem's Prime dechlorinator since it will bind ammo into a less toxic form that's safer for fish and the bacteria can still use, it also helps cut no2 & no3 concentrations too. Prime can be dosed up to 5X the norm (2 drops per gallon) on occasion and will help cut toxic levels of ammo/no2.

Thanks for the advice, I've just ordered myself the API master test kit and the Seachem's Prime... As for the water change I'm gonna crack on and do another 50% change right now!

Would you suggest maybe getting a plant to reduce the 20ppm I get out of my tap?

Thanks for the advice, I've just ordered myself the API master test kit and the Seachem's Prime... As for the water change I'm gonna crack on and do another 50% change right now!

Would you suggest maybe getting a plant to reduce the 20ppm I get out of my tap?

Sure would, plants like Anacharis, Wisteria and Hornwort are no3 vacuums lol. I like to suggest Anacharis because most every LFS (box stores too) will have it.

Would I have adapt my set up to suit getting plants?

Atm I just have the standard Juwel Rio 125.

Would I have adapt my set up to suit getting plants?

Atm I just have the standard Juwel Rio 125.

You're good to go on lighting IMO, since that kit is listed as a t5 high light setup. You could get into better plants, but I'd suggest sticking with the Anacharis for now to deal with the no3 issue. Once your tank is seasoned, then you could move up the plant ladder lol. Trust me, once you have plants, you'll be hooked :dance:. Go to PlantGeek.net - Your Aquatic Plant Resource and check out what's available.

Anacharis is a very cheap plant (I gets bundles for .95 USD) and it does well in low light tanks with no need for ferts or co2. I treat them like a disposable plant, since they are cheap and plentiful and if I see any die off, I just cut it off and toss it.

Well I've just finished doing a 50% w/c... Now hopefully the no3 will be slightly better then it was!

I'll have to look into getting some Anacharis, is it usually available from most aquatic shops?

Your in the USA though, right? I'm in England... So I might have trouble, will have to see what's around here!

I am.

It may go by the names Elodea densa or Egeria densa in the UK. If a fish store doesn't have it, try pond or plant shops. If that doesn't work, tell them you want a plant that soaks up nitrites and is good in low light.

Back
Top Bottom