NITRATE OUT OF CONTROL!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrutusPleco

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 35 gal. with
3 plecos
3 silver dollars
2 albino cory cats

Have just bought a used 100 gal. to transfer all fish to. While 100 gal. is cycling, have noticed the nitrates in 35 g. are out of site. Using liquid test kit with glass tube and bottle 1 and bottle 2. I do 25% water change once a week with a 10% change in between. Fish all seem to be ok. Did a 25% change yesterday and a 10% today. Nitrate still very high. Checked tap water, nitrate at 0. Did gravel vac. I am sure I have been overfeeding but have cut back on the food to minimal. Fish seem ok. Do I keep doing a 10% water change daily and check nitrate several hours later?

Have you tested the water out of the tap. I live in southern cal and my nitrates are 40 and phospates 4. My fish do ok but you must do your water changes to make sure your bioload does not increase it. :D

Water out of tap is 0 for nitrates. Also did nitrite test 0. Ammonia test 0. Just the nitrates are out of sight. I'm wondering if my nitrate test kit is out of wack? Except the tap water registered 0.

How big are these plecos? the 100 gallon will help immensely with nitrates...1st off - all the old organics buried and already rotting will not be present in a new tank.

how high is "out of sight"?

Don't be afraid to do more water changes, if your tank & tap water match closely. I regularly do 50% water changes in all 3 of my tanks, which include a 125 gallon long, 55 gal standard, and 10 gal standard. Sometimes more. Over Xmas, I missed a water change any my nitrates skyrocketed to 10ppm in my large tank - so I did 50% one day, and tonight I'm doing another. (BTW 10ppm is high for me, my large tank usually sits at 0, sometimes 5ppm).

TY for your reply! Much appreciated. According to the test the nitrates are at 80 !!! I did a big vac 2 days ago, Tues.,. So far fish seem ok. Must be tough fish, thank heavens !!! Will do another partial water change today.

Is it possible to have nitrite at 0, ammonia at 0, and the nitrates to be so high? PH is at 6.8.

In the new tank, 100 g., how much gravel do you recommend putting in?
Somewhere I read just enough to cover the bottom lightly. Do you agree with that?

Guess you can tell I'm a newbie. :) Thank you much for your help!!!

BTW,
2 Plecos 8 inches, 1 baby pleco from the other two :lol:
3 silver dollars
2 albino cory cats

80 isn't all that high.

Do you have a canister filter on your tank? Canisters are known to be nitrate producers. All you need to do is open it up and clean it with tank water out every few months.

With your fish, I would recommend some plant material. They should leave that alone and the plants will use the nitrates.

I have cichlids.. and I just try to get algea growing on the rocks... but my mbunas eat it.. sighs..

Although... I've just put a pothos on top of my Moba tank.. had another poster on another site recommend getting a pothos to root somewhat in the water to soak up the nitrates. He even sent me pictures of his. He said he's had it in his frontosa tank for 8-9 years. I saw vines actually in the water from that plant.

He told me that it would be like doing the lil betta plant tank thing.. with the plant on top rooting in the water.. and the betta under in the water.

So I'm giving it a shot.

Here are the shots of it:
normal_pothos.jpg
[/img]

BrutusPleco said:
TY for your reply! Much appreciated. According to the test the nitrates are at 80 !!! I did a big vac 2 days ago, Tues.,. So far fish seem ok. Must be tough fish, thank heavens !!! Will do another partial water change today.

Is it possible to have nitrite at 0, ammonia at 0, and the nitrates to be so high? PH is at 6.8.

In the new tank, 100 g., how much gravel do you recommend putting in?
Somewhere I read just enough to cover the bottom lightly. Do you agree with that?

Guess you can tell I'm a newbie. :) Thank you much for your help!!!

BTW,
2 Plecos 8 inches, 1 baby pleco from the other two :lol:
3 silver dollars
2 albino cory cats

As mentioned, planting can help with nitrates...but yes - its very possible to have such high nitrates. The reason is because you're overstocked. Plecos just happen to be particularly messy fish. they produce a lot of waste. While 80 isn't "all that high", plecos in particular are a species sensitive to nitrates, so its best your moving them to a larger tank. It'll be easier to maintain lower nitrates in a larger tank, as long as you don't overstock.

Plant materials are a good idea to absorb nitrates, but unfortunately - I fear that your plecos will not allow much to stay planted. They prefer to rearrange the tank to suit their liking! LOL

Thanks for the info! Not planning on putting anymore fish in the 100 g. except what is in the 35 g. I know the plecos will get large and so will the silver dollars. the dollys (as I call them) have quadrupled in size since I have had them. They are such a calm peaceful fish. As are the plecos. Love the pic!! What kind of rocks and such and amount of gravel should I put in the big tank? Appreciate the info. Those rocks look like lava rock.

Most fish do fine with 40-60ppm nitrates. If you are using a canister with the 100 gal tank, even if you are not. Put in some established filter media or gravel from your current tank in a media basket or just in in filter. That will speed the cycle right up.

Also, on the lines of filtration, you need to be rinsing out your filter pads every week with those high waste producers - I too suspect your filter is contributing.

The tricky thing is that your fish are adapted to the high nitrate, so once your big tank is cycled you can cause extreme stress or even death to put them right into the new tank with low nitrate. Take the time while the big tank is cycling to slowly reduce the nitrate in the small tank so they won't be shocked, and acclimate them slowly once you do move them over. Kudos to you for recognizing the need for a sizable tank for these great fish, and stepping up to the plate! :D

Back
Top Bottom