Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-29-2015, 05:53 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

The Nitrate number is 20ppm. The tap water nitrate number without the additives I put in is between 40 and 80 ppm. I refuse to drink the water and buy bottled Zepherhills only for drinking. The water is city water in Pompano Beach , Florida 33060. The water was tested at Pet Supermarket by using a test strip in which I saw the results which were done right in front of me. The same issue again city water was done in Margate Florida 33063 last year. Again tested from me and Pet Supermarket. I just started with rain water and will empty the tank and fill with rain water as well as keeping rain water in jugs for water changes. I checked the rain water and it is good. We do not have fill stations here. Thank you all for you help in this matter and God Bless...Lynda

Old 04-29-2015, 06:00 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

i am glad that you have started a rain water catch system and that it is good quality. you should still read the link that was provided about cycling a tank.

there needs to be a source of ammonia to begin to grow a colony of beneficial bacteria. without that source, your tank will never be cycled. you can use fish to cycle, but this will require many frequent water changes (like 50% every other day or more), or dosing the tank with pure ammonia, as well as other methods.

if you choose to go the feeder goldfish route, i would say that one would suffice...but that again, will require frequent water changes. to speed up the process, you could use beneficial bacteria from an established tank to kick start your cycle. this can be done by squeezing out the filter media from an established tank and adding that to your cycling tank.

good luck to you and please do ask questions as they arise (because they will).

Old 04-29-2015, 06:26 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I am really putting in Tropical Fish thegoldfish was only a cheap test. Thanks so much for your help....Lynda

Tags
ate, nitrate, problem

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com