Nitrate Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigge_al

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering when you add a fish to a tank will the Nitrates drop and the ammonia rise temporarily.
My case is my wife saw a fish she just had to have so I added him to my fish-in cycle and I was showing nitrate levels B4 addition. After my ammonia went up and I lost my nitrates. Is this normal or was it that I may have not had nitrates.

I was wondering when you add a fish to a tank will the Nitrates drop and the ammonia rise temporarily.
My case is my wife saw a fish she just had to have so I added him to my fish-in cycle and I was showing nitrate levels B4 addition. After my ammonia went up and I lost my nitrates. Is this normal or was it that I may have not had nitrates.

Nitrates generally don't leave the aquarium unless its' 'through water changes or live plants using them. Are you using the API kit? That test is very fickle and easy to get inaccurate readings if not done precisely. I'd suggest shaking both bottles for 30 seconds and tapping bottle #2 on a hard surface; there is a reagent powder in the bottle that can get clumped and cause inaccurate readings. Also vigorously shake the tube for the full 60 seconds. Nitrate isn't as toxic as ammonia or nitrite though so unless the levels are over 40 I wouldn't worry. And a water change would bring them down.

I'd be more concerned with ammonia and nitrite levels in an uncycled tank particularly if you added more fish before the tank fully cycled.

If a test doesn't seem right retest. If you have any ammonia at all while you have fish in the tank do a water change. Ammonia can do long term damage to the fish even if it doesn't kill them.

So i guess the answer is that no, Ammonia, Nitrates, or nitrites go away without water changes.

Back
Top Bottom