nitrate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have an established tank, 55 gallon. What is in it is...1 white cloud 1 white tetra, 1 cory, 6 harlequin rasboras, 2 otos, and 2 ghost shrimp. I just added two live plants. I am having problems with my nitrates. they are constantly between 20 and 40ppm. I would like to get them down around 10ppm or less. I do 20 to 30% water changes once a week, and there is ammonia in my tap water but no nitrates or nitrites. Will doing smaller more frequent water changes bring the nitriates down and do I have to gravel vac every time?

Welcome to AA, Meredith! :D

There is nothing wrong with nitrate at 20-40ppm, as that is where most cycled tanks will be on any given day. Your fish are able to tolerate that no problem.

Also, plants use nitrate as a nutrient so as you add plants that will help quite a bit, assuming you have adequate light for them.

You have a very light bioload for that size tank so water changes (assuming your tap does not contain 20-40ppm nitrate) will certainly help. Gravel vacs should be done if you have a lot of crud on the bottom (also can contribute to higher nitrate) but if you do have a lot of crud then cutting back on feeding is a good idea. When you vac concentrate on specific areas of the tank each time so you don't get the entire bottom stirred up at once.

Good to know! I have had an aquarium for over a year, this is my first "big" one though and I am totally new to all this testing. Should I test my water every day?

If the fish are doing well and everything is going normally then I would check it weekly.

Adequate lighting

TankGirl said:
Also, plants use nitrate as a nutrient so as you add plants that will help quite a bit, assuming you have adequate light for them.

I have a jebo r362 and it comes with a cover and trickle filter. Inside the over has 2 fluorescent lights. I only turn 1 on at a time because when I have 2, even the light is too bright for my eyes. I'm afraid of blinding my fish BUT I need adequate light for my plants. AARGH!

How much light is enough?

deeni0z - maybe you can start a thread about it in the planted tank forum, but I'm not sure how many watts your fixture has. Usually 2wpg is a decent place to start, 2.5 - 3wpg and you can grow quite a lot of plants, and quite a lot of algae if you are not careful about nutrients.

I am running a tank with over 4wpg and the fish don't seem to care, since they are the same fish as when the tank was about 1wpg, but I have to watch over this tank like a hawk.

Back
Top Bottom