nitrate reducing media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is there some type of effective nitrate reducing media that really does help? I'd like to use something in some back up filters that would generally reduce nitrate. I still plan on doing PWCs and all that and I'm not trying to get out of regular maintenance and stuff. I just want to know if there is something that would help reduce nitrates that I could put in a HOB filter media bag.

I use Amquel Plus, it gets rid of nitrites, nitrates, ammonia, and chlorine. I tested it's worth cuz i tested my nitrites and they were high, put some stuff in it and the nitrites went to zero/lowered. o.o

Though, it's not filter media =/ I just find it works, it's a liquid...

Not sure about the filter thing......but I've helped out friends with definite "old tank syndrome" by doing a series of large water changes....over a couple of days. Other than good gravel vacs & water changes the only thing that has worked to keep nitrates down in my experience is careful feeding! Most people feed way too much at one time.

talloulou said:
Adding chemicals 8O

o.o I only do that when I have to drain out more than 50% of the water because of vacuuming >_< i get high nitrite spikes and I tried to do pwc and that didn't help enough so I resorted to using amquel @__@

Well I'm not really wanting to add something that treats the water. I want something that acts to bind nitrate and or take it out of the water in some way. I haven't figured out how to reduce nitrates anaerobically yet. The Nitrate Reductor that seemingly no one knows about or has much experince with would seem to be the only choice for anaerobic nitrate reduction. I may just put some hardy plants in the sump with a light and some algae-eating shrimp and let them have at it. I just want to prevent nitrate buildup any way I can. I'm planning on a 150 gallon malawi tank that will be loaded with fish and I know that nitrates will be an issue. Although PWCs work, I'm not home for extended periods and I don't want to ask someone to change the water for me if I get behind. This hasn't been an issue with my other tanks but I'm worried about this bigger, more heavily stocked tank.

Puriti said:
I use Amquel Plus, it gets rid of nitrites, nitrates, ammonia, and chlorine. I tested it's worth cuz i tested my nitrites and they were high, put some stuff in it and the nitrites went to zero/lowered. o.o

Though, it's not filter media =/ I just find it works, it's a liquid...

that stuff is BAD BAD BAD.. if you are having nitrits or ammonia then you have a major problem with your biological filter, and those chemicals will make it worse, mess up your water, and stress the fish!!!! If you are having nitrites then that means you don't have good filtration, or that you have too many fish. You should try smaller more frequent water changes. Also stop adding the chemicals, they will give you false readings and they convert the ammonia and nitrites to another form that might not be usuable by your bacteria... thus killing off your bacterial population

Water Changes

I use Purigen in my tank and it helps too.

Also live plants help a ton. They use the nitrates quite well. In fact in my planted tanks I have to add Nitrogen because the plants soak it all up and still need more.

For a Malawi tank, though, plants will be very difficult. Unless you have a setup like Travis's, that is! :p

I am always wary of adding unnecessary products to a tank. The only really effective way to rid yourself of nitrates, as I understand it, is to do more water changes. Maybe it would help you to do 35%-40% per week as opposed to the standard 25% per week, if you think you won't be home enough to do smaller, more frequent changes. :?

there are other filter options.. the coil denitrator comes to mind..
I still think plant life is more complete.. the less complex the plantlife the better.

I'm still thinking about putting plants in the sump. By the way, the wife agreed on letting me put in a 6-ft tank so I'm planning on going with a 180 gallon now (72X24X24). I hope that quenches my MTS. Maybe I'm catching BTS (Big Tank Syndrome). :lol:

I only use Amquel when I do pwc's. But I wouldn't just keep adding it to get rid of nitrates, etc. These products are originally intended to treat water before adding to the tank, and not as a treatment for the tank. A good planted tank helps as well. Just need to do a little research as to what you want and what you need for the job you need done. Don't just rely on chemicals, fish won't like you.

Back
Top Bottom