Nitrate reduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apophis924

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, New to this board but not new to the hobby. I have a saltwater and a freshwater tank and it has a nitrate value of zero ppm. i use a refugium with macro algae to control nitrates and add oxygen to the system. My question is will this method work for a fresh water tank? I use a CRP hang on the tank refugium with plants and algae, It is lit 24/7 with lighting to keep the plants growing round the clock.I am wondering if this method will work for a fresh water system.

Depending on the fish your keeping in the tank....it is not necessary to make a "refugium" for FW. You can have live plants directly in the tank and they will remove the ammonium, before it is ever processed to nitrate.

I have toyed with this idea also. Kevin, you are correct. If your fish are compatible with plants, just have a planted tank. But i was thinking if you had oscars or some other type of fish that will kill plants, the refugium might be a good idea. It would still be limited to fish and plants that are happy with the same ph and water hardness ranges, but it could be done.

All it would take would be: Research, plumbing, lighting, aaaaaahhhhhh!!

In other words, I want someone else to try it first!! :mrgreen:

Me first I guess!

I am willing to try this first. I have some fish that would eat the plants in the main tank, so this would be an adventure. Plus I am wanting to do some other changes, so this can be my reason to start.

I once grew hair allege in a converted cat litter box with corrugated plastic as a plant bed filter for kicks. Hey when you worked at a pet shop for 5years you find things to do with your time!

I'll post results/pics...and what not when I am done.

I am seriously interested in your results Labor$py.

I've been thinking about this same thing for a while. My main curiousity/issue would be the invert population. Would it be possible to keep something (maybe daphnia?) going to supply nutrition to the main tank while using some of the algae? Without the inverts/? all you would have would be an algae scrubber - which may be perfect in its own right.

Please keep me/us informed of your progress.

Eric

you guys are working WAY too hard at this!! lol :roll:
as long as your nitrates are relatively reasonable in freshwater, you don't have to sweat it like with your sw tanks...regular water changes are all that is needed unless your tap water is exceptionally high in nitrates....

CRaZeeeBiTcHisHeRe said:
you guys are working WAY too hard at this!! lol :roll:
as long as your nitrates are relatively reasonable in freshwater, you don't have to sweat it like with your sw tanks...regular water changes are all that is needed unless your tap water is exceptionally high in nitrates....

Regular water changes take sweat :)

Wouldn't you like a Discus tank where you only have to do a water change every other week instead of every other day? That's what we're talking about. Not to mention a natural food source.

Wouldn't you like a Discus tank where you only have to do a water change every other week instead of every other day?

Who does this?......my discus are phenomenally happy and I do a monthly water change.

Back
Top Bottom