nitrate removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timwag2001

Aquarium Advice FINatic
aside from a r/o unit or something like that, is there some kind of water conditioner that will remove nitrates?

If you mean in general in the tank. Regular water changes remove nitrate. If you are speaking from a tap an R/O unit is the way to go.

You could try putting some anarcharis in like a trash can or something with some water to try to get rid of the nitrates, but you'd need something to light it.

Amquel Plus is a water conditioner that eliminates nitrates.
I don't have nitrates in my tap water but I do use it, along with a PWC, when my nitrates get out of hand in one of my tanks.

Neither of those products (Amquel + or Purigen) remove nitrates. Purigen removes nitrogenous organic waste that would eventually cause nitrate creation through the biological process.

Amquel plus has been proven in independent studies to not remove nitrates. Read the label carefully it says it "removes/detoxifies" which covers them.

The 2 basic ways to remove nitrates are plants and water changes. There are other more elaborte ways but to my knowledge there are no off the shelf 'put 3 drops per gallon' voodoo products that will remove nitrate.

I never said it removed nitrates I said it eliminates nitrates which it does by breaking the nitrates oxygen bond. It has been very effective in lowering nitrate levels in my tanks when needed. Again, I only use it when levels get a bit higher than normal.
I normally control nitrates with regular water changes.

thats what i was afraid of. my well water comes out at least 40 ppm nitrate.

so then what do you think the best investment would be.
1) i need a new hood setup so i can get more light into my aquarium. my lfs has a setup that's gonna cost me about $170. then i need to figure out a way to supply co2. and them more plants
2) an r/o unit. don't have an exact price on one but i think home depot and lowes are selling them around $275

RO/DI. You can get a very good one on Ebay for around $100. Search the threads, we've all offered opinions on the ones we use. Well worth the money unless you plan on a planted tank.

i do want a planted tank, nothing too extreme but i def want more plants. do you think that if i had a 55 gal 1/3 to 1/2 planted it would be enough to remove that much nitrates?

I'm not a planted guy. There are lots of experienced planter people here.

Just beware there aren't a quick fixes or quick remedies out there. All I use in my FW tank is Prime for a dechlor, Purigen and GFO in the canister. Carbon if/when I need it to remove any meds I may have used.

Save your money

You could also use a Nitra-Zorb bag, look it up. That's what I used to use on my well water 20 years ago. It's 'rechargeable', it takes some time or do it's work, and you'd have to probably keep a second tank for conditioning the water to prepare for changes, but it would get rid of the nitrates.

Here's some specs from one website I fould it on:

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Nitra-Zorb
The level of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate removed depends on the size of the Nitra-Zorb pouch, size of the aquarium, flow rate of the aquarium filter, and how much ammonia, nitrite and nitrate is being produced in the aquarium daily. A 3.7 oz (105 g) pouch of Nitra-Zorb in a 20 U.S. gallon (75.6 L) aquarium will remove 5.0 ppm ammonia, 1.0 ppm nitrite, and 20 ppm nitrate in 24-48 hours. If the aquarium is overstocked or fed heavily, the build-up of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate may occur as fast it can be removed by Nitra-Zorb. Nitrate levels may be so high that they are well above the maximum level on nitrate test kits. It may be necessary to continually recharge and reuse the Nitra-Zorb pouch until the nitrate level drops within the test kit range.
------------------
The above example is for the 3.7 oz bag. They also make a 7.4 oz bag. The big bag runs $10-11. Since your tap is at 40ppm you would need a holding tank, well-circulated that would allow enough time to allow for the bag to eliminate all the nitrates before using the water in the stocked tank. Or you could just put it directly in your stocked tank and let it work continually, but you'll have to 'recharge' it every time you do a water change and probably in between, whenever the nitrates start to climb, it's full.

Worth a try, cheaper and better than messing with RO IMO.

PS do you get green water algae blooms after water changes? That's what I used to get, I bought a Magnum and ran it with the diatom filter charged with diatomacious earth and that took out whatever was causing that.

i havent had any problems with algae at all. i had a few random deaths and started to search for reasons. i was having trouble w nitrates and couldnt get them to drop. finally i tested my well water and found it to be over 40 ppm.

i really think my best choice might be the r/o

Check out my picture gallery, I have an RO system for drinking water in my house that was checked last year and it's operating properly, the municipal water and RO both have 5ppm nitrates. Maybe it reduces a higher ppm, but I see no difference, only in pH and ammonia.

Is RO supposed to eliminate all nitrates?

The problem with Nitra-Zorb (assuming it works) is that his tap water is at 40 ppm.. Ever water change just raises the levels that much higher, not even taking into account the normal creation thru the biological process. Dog chasing it's tail syndrome.

Ro/DI will remove everything. After which you need to buy RO-Rite or something else to replace the essential minerals that are also removed.

IMO your best and really only practical choice is a new water source.. Be that RO, RO/DI, bottled, distilled.. but that 40ppm comin out the tap is a deal breaker short of planted or a good sized denitrator setup. You might want to check you tap for phosphates too.. RO/DI will take care of that too.. Planted won't I don't believe

how would you check for phospates? never seen a kit for it.

I shouldn't say if it works really, it's if it works by removing actual nitrates or simply removes the organics thus stopping or lowering nitrate production (which is what purigen and others do). You know, the great nitrate removal debate/slight of hand.

Anyway, same concept. If the OP is dumping 40ppm in 20% water changes continuously it just a losing battle with well/tap.

Last edited:
I have one more angle on this:

If your well water has 40 ppm of nitrates, you should have it professionally tested. God knows what else is in there? That much nitrates is not safe for babies <Never use that water to mix formula!!>, and I am not sure if I want to drink that either. So a R/O unit would be a good investment not just for your fish, but for your drinking water needs as well.

FWIW - hornwort is a great nitrate sponge. Under good light, hornwort will grow a few inches a day & remove tons of nitrates. <I have to add nitrate to my tank in spite of all the messy goldies....> So you could use plants to remove NO3 (and PO4 as well.)

Back
Top Bottom