Nitrate spike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigbanker

Aquarium Advice Addict
Not too sure where to put this in the forum! Sorry! :)

Just did my water tests they came back : PH, 7.2, Ammonia 0, NitrIte 0, and..... NitrAte 80!!! Not sure what caused the sudden spike as they were previously (earlier this week) were 20/40. What could have caused such a major spike? I did a 25 percent water change on Tuesday. The tank is semi planted and I dose with excel. What could have caused this?

I tested the water from a tank in our school library and the results were exactly the same as yours. It has been established for almost 2 years. It is a 75g with various cichlids. They seem perfectly fine, and their have been no casualties. I was a little shocked. I thought that level of nitrAtes was toxic.

As did I!! Not sure what happened or is happening! Did a partial water change which got the nitrAtes down to forty... I'm afraid that without knowing what caused the spike it is going to happen again. Me and the mutt are headed out now to the pet store and hopefully find some dinner along the way.

Back
Top Bottom