Nitrate test ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bbush

Aquarium Advice FINatic
When I test for nitrates using my API kit, I can never tell what the results are. If I hold the tube near the card, it looks low (orange). However, if I press it directly to the card it looks high (red). Please advise.

The nitrate tests are not nearly as clear as the other tests. In the end, it's only really useful as a ballpark estimate.

I try to hold it up against something white. Whether that's the correct method our not, I don't know, but that's how I do it.

I use to use that kit and I thought it was not very accurate. I switched to the salifert kit. Its more expensive but I found it alot more accurate.

That is what I'm starting to think. I can't tell the difference between the oranges on the nitrates at all.

That is what I'm starting to think. I can't tell the difference between the oranges on the nitrates at all.
In my opinion I think the api gives higher nitrate reading then they actually are. Thats why I switch to the salifert and I think its easier to read.

I'd have to agree the API nitrAte test is off in a big way. Mine is always showing high levels and if I test with another kit it's good. They also changed the color card if you noticed. The one thy comes with the master kit and the one with just the nitrAte kit are different color charts.

Convict beat me to it! :) The test charts in the individual tests are quite different than the master kit charts. With the master kit, the 5/10/20 are all basically the same shade of orange with 40/80 being the same shade of red. The individual kit has more distinct shadings of colors. Some nitrite tests are like this , too. I am not sure why API does this but you can call them & ask them to send you a nitrate color chart used in the individual tests- they usually have excellent customer service.

Bbush said:
When I test for nitrates using my API kit, I can never tell what the results are. If I hold the tube near the card, it looks low (orange). However, if I press it directly to the card it looks high (red). Please advise.

Was going to create an identical thread. Lol! Glad I found you. Ill be paying attention.

I have the same kit. Per the instructions, what you want to do is hold the tube over the white part of the card right next to the varying colors -- it helps to do this in a very well-lit area. You want to read the results against the white, not the colored background.

Best!

Back
Top Bottom