Nitrate test question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lkenn80

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need some help with the nitrate test. Heres the deal..

I'm using the API master test kit. The tank is cycled, and I always have a 0 ammonia, and 0 nitrite. It seems like my nitrate is ALWAYS 40ppm. I have tested before and immediately after water changes, and have even tested water from 2 other tanks ( not mine) and the results are always the same. The one time I did have a test over 0 on ammonia I followed the advice I got on here and have a very set schedule for my tank maintenance ie. filter cleaning, vacuuming and so on. I know I must be doing something wrong to have the same result EVERY TIME.

I follow the direction to the letter as stated in the instruction book. Add the 10 drops from bottle 1. Invert several times. Shake bottle 2 for 30 sec and add 10 drops from bottle 2. Shake capped tube for one min and check results after 5 min.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

bruinsbro1997 said:
Have you tested for nitrates in the tap water you're using? That could be the problem.

Do this. I know my tap water has a small amt of nitrates

I haven't check my tap water. I will do that. If thats it how do I eliminate the nitrate?

Yes I do pwc's weekly. Usually 25 to 50%

I haven't check my tap water. I will do that. If thats it how do I eliminate the nitrate?

Yes I do pwc's weekly. Usually 25 to 50%

If you have "city water"(municipal supply), it should be no higher than 10ppm as per EPA regulations(if you are in US). If it does test above 10ppm, contact your water authority.

If you are on a well, it could be from fertilizers if you live near farms(or on land that was once a farm)....Then you would need to install an R/O system/etc.

If you don't have any plants in the tank, you could add a few. That would help lower the nitrate level in the tank.

Last edited:
I have a city water supply that tests between 5 and 10 ppm nitrate and there really isn't much you can do about it except to know about it. Knowing about it will allow you to plan for it.

I'm doubly cursed by being color blind as well. So, I don't worry about the darkness of the orange as much as long as I don't see red.

I tend to do larger water changes so I don't get high concentrations, at least 50 to 60 percent per week. Or, many times, I'll do two water changes in a week. Kinda depends on how busy my Wednesdays are.

Back
Top Bottom