nitrate treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Totally agree with water changes!
Even you knew the answer....the only answer!
Water Changes!

canister filter

i have canister filter with ciramic and stones and bio balls in it.......but the nitrate still high.....any idea ???

Change the water and do regular tank maintenance! This includes rinsing your filter material in old tank water or dechlorinated water (yes, the bio media too if it is collecting a lot of detritus). If you don't want to take the time and energy to do what is needed to meet your fishes needs, you will want to find a hobby that doesn't require you to meet a living creatures basic needs :).

Obviously you have asked several times because you already know what the answer is and are refusing to accept the answer because it isn't what you want to hear. The answer isn't going to change no matter how many times you ask the question..lol.

The answer is yes, there is a way, and it's called a denitrator. There's a banner ad for Aquaripure Nitrate Filter quite often on this site for one that seems, from what I've read about it, very good. You can build one of your own with you google 'aquarium denitrator' or 'coil denitrator' you'll find enough plans to boggle your mind.

The basic idea is to create a thriving environment in which anaerobic bacteria live and convert NO3 to N2 and O2. This is basically done via a slow drip system where aerobic nitrifying bacteria use up all the O2 and force an oxygen free stage. Then you supply food to the anaerobic colony in the form of Vodka a couple times a week, injected into the system, and over the course of a month or so, your colony will be established and your nitrates will drop and stay at 0, and you theoretically would never have to do a water change.

I haven't tried it myself, but I am seriously considering giving it a shot on a big freshwater system I maintain.

water change

logically it is good to change the water..... but imagine that you are in a tank and your owner change the water everyday and don't give the chance to calm down and always make you wake up from your sleep and take out your cloth and give you new cloth """" it not comfort ...right ? """"".

the aquarium denitrator is a good choice but is it safe to put vodka to the water that go to my tank and make my fishes drunk ????.

and does the immediate no3 reducing safe to the fishes ????

vodka is the food source for the bacteria and yes it's safe. As for yur analogy on water changes, not sure what you mean. I do 40% PWC weekly and my fish are fine. Nobody does daily PWCs unless you're not filtering the water or have a disease problem.

my tank is freshwater tank.....does it safe to put denitrator to it ????.....my main problem is that the no3 is high " 25mlg ".....and i did water change yesterday and when i changed it......i tested the water again and also the no3 still high " 25mlg ".....does the canister filter do anything wrong ????....cos when i have the internal sponge filter the no3 and no2 is low....but now i have the canister running about a 50 days.....and everytime i tested the water the no3 is high......any idea ?

More important to me is that you have 0.5ppm nitrIte in your tank. That should NEVER hapen in an established tank unless you have had a recent catastrophy or too high a bioload. Water changes are the only answer. Live plants are a bad idea because the care of live plants dwarfs fish care by several fold. You apparently want to do very little maintenance on the tank. You either need to reevaluate the fish hobby or deal with high levels of nitrAtes knowing you're harming your fish.

Denitrators are also not a great recommendation because even without nitrAte water gets "stale". A closed system like a fishtank will constantly be evaporating water (building up salts), and waste (dissolved solids that are NOT nitrAte such as phosphates). The only way to get rid of them is to REMOVE water and REPLACE it with fresh water.

Sorry, no other option.

"Denitrators are also not a great recommendation because even without nitrAte water gets "stale"."

I would disagree. IMO denitrators are a great addition to a system. The idea that you can run a closed system is not. Water changes are needed regardless of what ever options you adopt.

There are no exceptions to water changes in the home aquarium.

IMO

+1 on denitrators YES
+1 on closed system NO

Instead of doing 25-40% per week, you could do 50% once a month to refresh the water, or just enough to cover your weekly gravel vac maybe. With a high bio-load, doing both denitrification and PWCs would be highly beneficial I would think.

Why don't you put more nutrient using plants in your aquarium?
NitrItes kill fish. And why are you afraid of PWC's. I do 50% every week, sometimes more. PWC's are one of the "golden rules" that must be met in order to succesfully keep fish.
Are your water test kits reliable and in date? Take a sample of your water to a LFS for testing to verify the accuraacy of your tests.
Charles

Back
Top Bottom