Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lifeoffroad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So after months of being stable my Nitrates just spiked to about 5.0 almost 10.0. I'm controlling with water changes but what could be causing this? Ammonia is fine.

It could be a buildup of food, decaying plants, a dead fish. Unless it's a dead fish, it's really nothing to worry about. Nitrate levels of 10ppm are just fine. Or did you mean nitrItes?

--Adeeb

adeebm said:
It could be a buildup of food, decaying plants, a dead fish. Unless it's a dead fish, it's really nothing to worry about. Nitrate levels of 10ppm are just fine. Or did you mean nitrItes?

--Adeeb

No meant nitrates. I do have a plant that appears to be suffering. No dead fish, and no food buildup. I have two corys and two clown loaches that vaccum the bottom like crazy. It's gotta be the plant. I thought nitrates were pretty toxic.

Nitrates aren't a problem until you start getting above 20-30ppm really. 10-20ppm won't do them any harm.

--Adeeb

No meant nitrates. I do have a plant that appears to be suffering. No dead fish, and no food buildup. I have two corys and two clown loaches that vaccum the bottom like crazy. It's gotta be the plant. I thought nitrates were pretty toxic.

NitrAtes (no3) are safe up to 40ppm in most cases. I rescued a fish living in 160+ppm of no3 for over a year and the new owner says it's doing great now.

If your plants aren't doing well, I'd suggest cutting out the dead decaying ones as they will add to the waste cycle (ammo->no2->no3). Do you dose with ferts, root tabs, or Excel and what kind of plants/lighting?

Back
Top Bottom