Nitrates 30

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michellev512

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How often can I do water changes? One of my apistogramma seems unhappy and is hiding in a corner behind filter intake. All other fish are well. Is nitrate 30 really too high for them?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Have to provide more details. It is virtually impossible for anyone to help based on that post.
Edit- if there is a jack Dempsey in there than its not the nitrates. .. just a for instance..
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
How often and how much have you been changing?

Sent from my SPH-P500 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok...my ammonia is 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 30, ph 7.4. 75 gallon

Pair of apistogramma viejita
1 female bolivian ram
2 pearl gourami
Cory cats
2 clown loaches 2inches
2 small plecos

The last 2 days he has been hiding, flashing and acting "irritated" and spastic almost swimming quickly...

All other fish appear normal. The bolivian will charge him at times but he had never seen to bothered by it before...

I have done 3 pwc 15 gallons each this week...

Nitrates were always 20, not sure of why the increase this week

You sure it's a m/f pair?

No. There is a possibility it is a smaller male. It has more color than a female I think...
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418782340.204859.jpg

If you at 30 and want to drop it to 15 you need to do a 50% water change. 15 gallons in a 75 wont do much.

can u you get better pics?

So I did take back a male bolivian bc he was being aggresive to the female and now she's the boss of the tank...
Should I try to get another female viejita?

Ok. Tomorrow I will do a larger water change. Was trying not to over do it...I figured smaller more frequent would be less traumatic

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418783065.421330.jpg

I feel like there is a lot of hiding places...

Nitrates or bully ram or false female viejita?

Oh the drama...

In my opinion disrupting the tank once with a larger change is less stressful than multiple smaller ones.

I did a large water change. Went to lfs and they told me it sounds like flukes. They gave me bifuran...scared to death about medicating but the apisto won't move from his spot and when I make him to get a look at him he's just flashing constantly. Looks miserable :/

Do you wash your filter pad off when it gets dirty? Nitrates below 40 is not usually a concern except for the people that only think, water water water. If their water is not crystal clear and 0-0 they have a panic attack. Im not one of those people. No reason to worry about using the medicine as long as it isn't a medicine that kills Good bacteria.

I did a large water change. Went to lfs and they told me it sounds like flukes. They gave me bifuran...scared to death about medicating but the apisto won't move from his spot and when I make him to get a look at him he's just flashing constantly. Looks miserable :/

Bifuran is a fura antibiotic. It will have absolutely zero effect on flukes. It's akin to suggesting someone eat a candy bar to treat the flu or a broken bone. If your fish in question has an infection, it may help but it's useless for a parasitic condition such as flukes.

Back
Top Bottom