Nitrates already on my fishless cycle??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missgingersnap

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok...I'm a bit confused with this whole fishless cycle thing. Nitrites showed up on day 7 starting a .25 and working their way up every day. I find the colours hard to read once they get past 1ppm. The 1 and 5 look almost the same to me. I'm pretty sure they went to 5 for a couple of days then went down to 1ppm. They seem to be stuck at 1ppm for about 5 days. I tested for nitrates this morning and they're between 10-20ppm. Is that normal to have nitrates when you still have nitrites? Should I change the water? I'm still feeding ammonia everyday. Help!

Nope, everything is working itself out. As you begin to build up the bacteria that converts nitrIte -> nitrAte, even though they haven't consumed all of the nitrIte yet they're still producing 'trAte, so all is normal.

Stay on target - with no fish, keep it going until your nitrates hit the floor... You're almost there!

keep feeding ammonia until a short time before you add fish and after the cycle is done, which yours almost is so start planning on a trip to the lfs soon

Yay! Thanks everyone! I thought I did something wrong since those stupid nitrites don't seem to be budging, but I will be patient and keep you posted. My fish will be super happy to get a bigger home and some new friends. Maybe I'll even get some photos once I get some fish in there....if I can figure out how to get pics on here. lol Thanks again!

OK...so my nitrates are actually only 5ppm. I was looking at the card for saltwater tanks. lol I guess I'm not as close as you thought. I'm such a noobie! :)

What is your nitrIte readings? 5 ppm nitrAte is normal for most, low for me, my water tests at 10ppm right from the tap.

At least you did it right. I am in the fight of their life for my little guys.

My nitrites are at 1ppm still.
I feel your pain fishkid. I did the same thing with my ten gallon and lost a few fish along the way. It's horrible watching your fish do the swim dance of death. I lost a dwarf gourami, 2 guppies and an albino cory...oh and 3 neons to ick. I hope yours make it!

OK...so I tested ammonia last night and it read .25ppm and hasn't gone down at all. I just tested at 6:30 PM tonight. Did my bacteria somehow die? The nitrites are the same...still 1ppm. Nitrates 5ppm...but then I tested my tap water and that is 5ppm as well so I guess the nitrates aren't building up either. I hope my fishless cycle didn't get screwed up somehow. I added a filter lining from my cycled tank tonight hoping that will help. I emptied out the carbon and put the material part in. I hope I wake up tomorrow to 0ppm ammonia or I'm gonna be seriously cheesed! Those danios keep sounding better and better! I'll take any advice I can get guys. Thanks!

This morning Ammonia is 0ppm, nitrites 1ppm....hasn't moved in forever and all of a sudden nitrates are above 40 ppm. Do I do the big water change now or wait for the nitrites to go to 0ppm first? Help!

While different from my situation, I do think the nitrates going up is a good sign. It means the bacteria are working. It will likely drop soon.

I am no expert so one of the others should chime in, like Ahab or missile. I think only a small water change would be acceptable, but given your levels a wait and see approach might be best.

You might even want to go to my original post "Spiking Ammonia Levels" and ask since none of them have posted here yet.

Thanks fishkid. I think I will wait it out for a bit. I hate to hijack your thread though. Hopefully someone will reply to this one although I'm sure people are tired of my million questions. lol How are your fishies doing during your cycle?

We have been a little up in the last 12 hours, but very little. Just about to test again and see if my small WC did anything.

Tim... I'm dosing with around a teaspoon a day which wasn't showing up when I tested for ammonia until the last 2 days. It brings it to around .25 then goes back to 0ppm in the morning. Just not sure if a teaspoon is enough or too much. I'm not sure what percent the ammonia is that I bought. I'm a total first timer so I feel kinda lost with this.
Fishkid...good luck! I found that doing lots of water changes helped a lot when my ten gallon was cycling with my poor lil' fish in there. I changed the water pretty much every day. :)

The filter from your other tank should help.
It might take a couple of days.
The carbon didn't matter, it will not effect your bio-cycle.
See what the readings are in the morning, in particular your nitrate. You may see a rise in nitrate before you see a reduction in nitrite. That would be a sign things are working.

I couldn't wait...tested tonight. Ammonia .25, nitrite .25, and nitrate 40ish ppm. I'm pretty sure this is a good thing? I'll test in the morning again. Thanks missileman. :)

Looks like you are on the right track. Wonder which of us will get there first.

Back
Top Bottom