Nitrates help/advice. !!! Plz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suntwisty4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello
I have a 35 gal tank of cichlids (9) of them. Been awhile since i tested water, about 4 months.
Unacceptable yes just been really busy finally had time.

ammonia was in between 0.00-.25
high ph is 8.0
Nitrites is 0.00
Nitrate is 40.00-80.00 (say closer to 40 range) normally it has been 5.0-10.0

Question is best way to bring down nitrates is only by do more water changes every week? If so how many?

Sent from my VS920 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would do as many as you can! Even every day until you get levels down (assuming your tap water doesn't have nitrate in it-if it does it will only go as low as your tap)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Plants absorb / take up nitrates.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ty you both.... fresh water tank any certain kind of plant?

Hornwort and anacharis are two of the better nitrate users :) there might be others but those are the two that stick out in my head

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I actually have a thread on this with a lot of helpful info lol. It's titled "Cant get nitrates down??" So much great advice there

Angela makes a good point. If you haven't already done so, test your tap water for nitrates. If they're present, mix in reverse-osmosis water during your water changes.

If your tap water is nitrate-free, you may have too many cichlids in that tank. I don't know which species you have, but their bioload may be too large for your tank.

First off, don't panic. Those levels are not lethal. not healthy, but not lethal.
Water changes will bring it down. If it was maintaining at 5-10 ppm, what has changed?
That needs to be the first thing you consider.
Have you not been doing water changes? That would be the answer right there.
If you have been keeping up with water changes then what else has changed that would account for the rise in levels?
Check your tap water as it can change if the treatment methodology/requirements have changed or if it is sourced from a new/different source.
You don't mention the type of filtration being used. If a canister maybe it needs a good cleaning or replacement of the mechanical portion (sponge/floss) as it may be loaded with detritus.

BUT do not switch out everything in the filter or you will lose the BB.

All good points never would have thought to test tap. Sure thats not issue, haven't been on top of tank like i was during winter months. Pullin two jobs now, kids, wife, summer activities the fish got put on back burner.

I have a bio-wheel 350 i believe has 2 wheels and uv light with internal pump

Back
Top Bottom