Nitrates!! How do I get them down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alyxandria

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know water changes get nitrates down. But I had a nitrate spike (my tank is overstocked but I'm cycling another to put them in) and I'm wondering the most efficient way to get them down?

50% water change every day?
25% twice a day?

What do you guys suggest? I'm thinking I should do a thorough clean of the gravel too but I'm worried about stirring up stuff while my nitrates are so high.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It depends on how high they are. If real high you dont want to shock them with tons of fresh water all at once. Also check ph and make sure its close to your tap water.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My pH is fine. It's the same as my tap water. The nitrates are pretty high. I lost a demasoni last night. Everyone is looking ok as of right now but I want to get it down as fast as I can.

Well if its at 80 or less I would do a 50% change and test in an hour. It should be down to 40 then. If its over 80 I would wait to hear from someone who has delt with it being higher.

If you haven't changed your water in a while then I would 25% twice and do 50% the next time.

What is your nitrate level exactly? How often and how much are your partial water changes?

Have you checked your source water for nitrates?

Ammonia and nitrite levels are zero?

Do 25-50% daily test before each water change when there down equal to your tap water do 50% weekly I had a huge spike in one of my cichlid tanks about a year ago like off the charts spike. Also test for nitrates in your tap water my last residence was 20 my current are 0 so unless you use some ro water the lowest it what your tap puts out. Any more questions fell free to ask.

Edit: like the last post said what are all your other levels. Ph, no2 no3 ammo in.your tap and in your problem tank.
Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Our tap water has "high" nitrates so I always had higher reading of nitrates in my aquarium water.
Last month I tried Purigen and my nitrates went down considerably.

Your Tank

I know water changes get nitrates down. But I had a nitrate spike (my tank is overstocked but I'm cycling another to put them in) and I'm wondering the most efficient way to get them down?

50% water change every day?
25% twice a day?

What do you guys suggest? I'm thinking I should do a thorough clean of the gravel too but I'm worried about stirring up stuff while my nitrates are so high.

Hello alyx...

Nitrates up to 50 ppm for a short time won't bother most fish. For my tanks, larger water changes are better. There's no need to get out the gear for a water change multiple times. Get the stuff out once and change half the tank water. You don't need to vacuum the bottom material. The organic material that collects there will dissolve in the water. Just change the water and you remove the toxin.

Acurel has a nitrate removing material that goes into the filter. Check it out. I've used it for years in my filters and it's good for removing nitrate. Floating plants like Hornwort will do a similar job.

B

Vaccuming is reccomended as what disolves in the water ends up in the water column. Now your tap water what exactly is high? What's the test kit say it us at?

Edit: oh and purigen us awesome.

API nitra zorb. Works wonders

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Ad

I'm on my way home. I had to take an emergency trip out of town Friday night. My parents are taking care of my animals/fish right now. According to them they're still doing well. I'll get all the water parameters tested this evening. Thanks for the advice everyone. Will post results in a couple hours!

Hi Alexandria

Here is a list of things that contribute to high nitrates.

*Overstocking
*Overfeeding
*Inadequate water change frequency
*Inadequate water change volume
*Inadequate filter media and gravel maintenance
*nitrates and/or ammonia in tap water

In order to avoid the hobby becoming a chore and keeping your fish safe, try to keep nitrates from exceeding 20ppm.

Try tweaking some of these first.

Do you have to many fish for the size tank you have or are the fish messy fish?

Are you feeding too often?

Filters collect suspended solids where they then decompose. Cleaning soiled filters and gravel may help.

Have you checked your tap water parameters?

We have been working down that list already and with there tap having high nitrates aiming for anything under 20ppm They would need to use partial ro water

We have been working down that list already and with there tap having high nitrates aiming for anything under 20ppm They would need to use partial ro water

Ah right. Didn't see the post that said the tap has high nitrates.

Tested everything.

Tank:
pH: 7.5
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 110

Tap Water:
pH: 7.5
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 5-10

I would do a 50% change every 2 days until you are down to around 20 then weekly 50% changes.

Back
Top Bottom