Nitrates in water (ARGHHHH!!!!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leehunter

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys and gals

I'm constantly frustrated with the amount of nitrates in my water!!!?

My tank is cycled and been in use for approx 8 months now and my fish IMO are healthy and growing fine. I do a PWC of 30-50% every 7-10 days and the clarity is fine and all other levels are good, but even from the tap here in the UK my nitrates are between 20-40ppm.

Is there anyway I can get these lower even from the tap or am I stuck with that base level?

My tank is FW 120litres /gravel substrate and fluval 205 filter 12in air curtain
Stock of 2 fancy tail fish approx 2 1/2 inches in size (not including tail), 2 zebra danios and a juvenile Featherfin Catfish (app. 2-3in) and a zebra snail.

PH = 7.5
AM = 0ppm
RITE = 0ppm
RATE = 40-80ppm

Other items in the tank are a small piece of bogwood 2 large pebbles 3 medium rocks stack as a bridge 2 small Marimo balls and a couple of silk plants?

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated, I feed the fish a small amount of pellets/flakes a day and once a week give them shelled peas.

Lee

Hi! Ive got a similar issue with nitrate level out of my tap being too high (min 20-40ppm) lately! My tank is moderately planted right now. Plants are the only thing i know of to naturally reduce nitrate levels-heavily planted tanks you actually have to add nitrates to feed the plants! So, im working on aquiring more plants! Im aware there are some RO systems that can be placed under your sink to remove nitrates but im still researching whether this is feasible for my situation. I am curious if anyone else has any suggestions ???

Nitrate Levels

Good morning Lee...

I don't think your nitrates are high. There are likely a good number of aquarists who'd like their nitrates to be as low.

I keep large tanks and change out a minimum of 50 to 60 percent of the tank water weekly. That's the best way to ensure nothing toxic will build up before the next water change.

I think you're worrying about nothing. Just increase the water change to at least half the tank volume every week and your fish and plants will be fine.

B

I was just so concerned as my apiece kit states fir fresh water it should be no more than 40ppm ?

I might just up my pwc to 50-60% every week.

Could i put any more goldfish in there? I know about the stated rules but love my blackmoor and oranda and would like them to have some more friends? Maybe a BN pkeco or another fancy?

@ilk

You mentioned plants? What would you or others recommend for a FW setup, something that won't keep getting rooted up and will not be constantly devoured by the fish?

Goldfish are notoriously "dirty" fish. They'll probably eat any plants you put in there as well.

Fast Growing plants might stand a chance - if you don't have a HOB (or waterfall type spout) you might want to try Duckweed - Floats at the top and grows like a weed (some consider it one) and might help reduce your nitrates.

Goldfish are Hearty and shouldn't have any issues with the level of nitrates.

AS well, are you measuring nitrates after or before water change? If you stir up your tank and get the substrate unsettled, your nitrates will peak. Take your reading from a few inches below the surface, as scum rises and can throw off the "true" reading of the water that the fish live in.

I was just so concerned as my apiece kit states fir fresh water it should be no more than 40ppm ?

I might just up my pwc to 50-60% every week.

Could i put any more goldfish in there? I know about the stated rules but love my blackmoor and oranda and would like them to have some more friends? Maybe a BN pkeco or another fancy?

Honestly, 120l is @30 gallons. I would not get anymore goldfish (or fish in general) because you will then be overstocked (20gal for the first goldfish, 10gal for each fish after is the general rule) and you will be then encountering water quality issues beyond just the nitrate issue. I am a bit religious about pwcs especially because of the high nitrates coming out of the tap. I generally do 50-70% pwcs every 3-4 days for my guys (2x wk). I am not a plant expert & i am still learning about them here but i have anacharis, wisteria, anubias, swords, & some tiger lotus. My guys (2 moors & ryunkin) dont bother the plants but they also get veggies daily to munch on & keep them busy.

Goldfish are notoriously "dirty" fish. They'll probably eat any plants you put in there as well.

Fast Growing plants might stand a chance - if you don't have a HOB (or waterfall type spout) you might want to try Duckweed - Floats at the top and grows like a weed (some consider it one) and might help reduce your nitrates.

Goldfish are Hearty and shouldn't have any issues with the level of nitrates.

AS well, are you measuring nitrates after or before water change? If you stir up your tank and get the substrate unsettled, your nitrates will peak. Take your reading from a few inches below the surface, as scum rises and can throw off the "true" reading of the water that the fish live in.

Aww! Be nice to the goldfish owners! I wouldnt call them dirty, just messy comical creatures. Fancy goldfish are in fact not that 'hearty'...black moors in particular are especially sensitive to their water conditions-high nitrate levels can cause burns & cataracts on their telescope eyes. Their fancy veil & butterfly tails are also subject to degradation when the water conditions are not kept pristine.

Could i put any more goldfish in there?

As mentioned above, the standard is 20 gallons for the first goldie and an additional 10 for every additional goldie. Plus, you have a featherfin in there. He can easily attain a length of over 6 inches. In my opinion, you are actually slightly overstocked.

Aww! Be nice to the goldfish owners! I wouldnt call them dirty, just messy comical creatures. Fancy goldfish are in fact not that 'hearty'...black moors in particular are especially sensitive to their water conditions-high nitrate levels can cause burns & cataracts on their telescope eyes. Their fancy veil & butterfly tails are also subject to degradation when the water conditions are not kept pristine.

Sorry! I didn't mean offence! Its just... I mean... in terms of bio load - These fish put more load than their weight in... gold... fish?

(I tried for a pun... didn't work) :(

Hehe

Yeah the featherfin state that it would grow to max of 6 inches so hopefully ok but yeah the GF and FF seem to have pooping contests on who can make the most!?

Thought i might show them who's the daddy!!? ;-) lmao

But thanks i won't increase the bioload any more and ill watch the levels closely

Back
Top Bottom