Nitrates keep rising!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deano320

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55g planted tank the prob im having is my nitrates keep rising past the recommended 40ppm! Is there anything i can do to prevent this?? I am doing 2 25/30% a week and even a day or 2 after water changes my nitrates are back up!! Also My tank DEFF ISNT over stocked!.... What could be causing this??

Sent from my SM-G901F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nitrates

I have a 55g planted tank the prob im having is my nitrates keep rising past the recommended 40ppm! Is there anything i can do to prevent this?? I am doing 2 25/30% a week and even a day or 2 after water changes my nitrates are back up!! Also My tank DEFF ISNT over stocked!.... What could be causing this??

Sent from my SM-G901F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello dean...

Nitrates in the 40 ppm range aren't the end of the world. This level will at most cause a very slight discomfort to most aquarium fish. Ideally, the level could be lower and lower in this case is better.

Here's the deal. Smaller water changes leave more dissolved nitrogen in the tank. This isn't what your fish want. Work up to the point you're changing out half or even more of the water every few days to a week. This removes more dissolved nitrogen and what's left is diluted to a very safe level in all the new, treated tap water. Add some floating plants and you'll have the best water conditions for the fish.

So, there you go. Problem solved.

B

If you are not overstocked then the obvious source is food. I put up my hands and admit that I love to feed my fish and am definitely guilty of sometimes over feeding. My nitrates stay at below 20% with 2 weekly 25% WCs and I am stocked to near the limit but I now carefully regulate the feeding. The fish feed better as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What is the nitrate level of your tap water? Mine was 20ish out of the tap where I used to live. I finally just planted the tank heavily and they stayed 5 or under.

The fish were MUCH happier and I was too as I no longer had to do so many huge water changes.

Keeping my sleeves wet...

~ Sent via Carrier Goldfish

Back
Top Bottom