Nitrite cycle skipped...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djbrefik

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im cycling a new aquarium and the nitrites have failed to spike at all. Nitrates have spiked, ammonia is present and ph is fine. Is this normal?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No, what are you testing with? Is it new substrate, new filter? How long had it been cycling?
I have skipped the ammonia spiking plenty of times, but skipping the nitrite spikes is very weird to me. If your using a product like stability, or other "bio in a bottle" it's possible, but to have ammonia and nitrates, that's just weird. What are you testing with?

API freashwater master kit, used magnum 350, new API filstar xp & new substrate (sand).

The used magnum could be why. If your doing a fish in cycle do a water change to get the ammonia out. And keep an eye on it. I have had nitrate readings, followed by nitrite spikes before. So just because your seeing nitrates doesn't mean it's safe.

If it's a fish less cycle if wait and see if it sorts itself out. It is possible to skip the cycling process with used media.

Its only been cycling for a couple weeks. Have some minnows in it and a few died because they were sucked to the filter intake but havent lost any since. Holding off putting any of my cichlids in until im 100% sure.

Its only been cycling for a couple weeks. Have some minnows in it and a few died because they were sucked to the filter intake but havent lost any since. Holding off putting any of my cichlids in until im 100% sure.

Sounds like you know what your doing, could just be one of those freak things.

Just a thought, but you can sometimes get false positives with the API Nitrate test if you don't shake the test well enough (Both the droppers and the test tube).

Thanks Coyne but I make sure to do that.

I'm similar. Nitrite always 0 but ammonia 1.0 and nitrate 5.0. It's odd

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Unless they spiked and went down to 0 in 9 hours, that didnt happen. Im so impatient that I test every day. LOL

With a new set up you should test everyday, I still test everyday actually but the only thing I really test for now is nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom