Nitrite issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Could be your tap water is naturally high enough in salt (or chloride ions) and this is protecting the fish somewhat.

'Salt can be used to prevent nitrite poisoning, if the chloride ions are 30 times the concentration of nitrite ions.'

http://www.algone.com/using-salt-in-the-freshwater-aquarium

Hi delapool. I'm not surprised the ops fish are ok. I found out some very interesting things from my research thread on the toxicity of nitrite to fish. I don't want to go around saying people's fish will be ok in 5ppm nitrite as I'll probably get a bit of an ear bashing but all I'll say is I'm not surprised they are fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi delapool. I'm not surprised the ops fish are ok. I found out some very interesting things from my research thread on the toxicity of nitrite to fish. I don't want to go around saying people's fish will be ok in 5ppm nitrite as I'll probably get a bit of an ear bashing but all I'll say is I'm not surprised they are fine.

I was trying to think back on this :).

Should I pm? From memory did 100ppm salt deal with 1ppm nitrite in the catfish? testing? I knew I should of saved this away obut got distracted.

I was trying to think back on this :).

Should I pm? From memory did 100ppm salt deal with 1ppm nitrite in the catfish? testing? I knew I should of saved this away obut got distracted.

Yeh pm if you want.

Yes, I am using a water conditioner. What I do is remove the water from the tank then refill using pre-treated one gallon jugs of water at room temp.

Yes, I am using a water conditioner. What I do is remove the water from the tank then refill using pre-treated one gallon jugs of water at room temp.

Fine method, albeit you must have a lot of jugs! I use a Rubbermaid and as pond pump, but I have to aerate my water for at least 12 hours to avoid a huge pH swing.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fine method, albeit you must have a lot of jugs! I use a Rubbermaid and as pond pump, but I have to aerate my water for at least 12 hours to avoid a huge pH swing.

I have the same problem with pH. I'm too lazy to set up a bubbler, though, so I just let mine sit in 5 gallon buckets for a couple days and it does the trick.

Any thought about using driftwood? It helps to balance ph...so I was told.

Any thought about using driftwood? It helps to balance ph...so I was told.

I have a very very stable tank pH of 7.4 and my tap water has a pH of 7 with little buffering capability. The problem is that when it comes out the tap the pH bottoms out the test kit at 6. With aeration, it rises to 7 over about 12 hours. You can see how this presents an issue for the tank, so we have to let the water sit and gas off all the dissolved CO2 that is causing the low pH out the tap. I use a 35 gallon Rubbermaid container, I siphon out the window, and I use a submersible pump to refill the tank from the Rubbermaid.

Driftwood isknown to lower pH, don't know about balancing it.

Just purchased an eheim canister filter today. Changed my media configuration and will use it as the bio filter while my HOB will only use the charcoal to polish. I'll keep you guys posted.

As of this morning, I read ph of 7 and all others ZERO! My eheim has done it's job! Thanks for all the input and guidance!

Back
Top Bottom