Nitrite levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sniperfreak

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, my cardinals have been in the aquarium for 3 days now, and I just performed a PWC. when I tested the water, my nitrites were at .5 ppm, and I've heard that cardinals are sensitive to nitrites, so what is the best way to bring them down?

PWCs remove nitrites. And i haven't read your other posts, so I assume you are in a cycle. If that is the case then change enough water to bring it down to 0.25ppm or less.

Nitrites are toxic to all fish. If you reading gets to 0.5ppm or higher, change out water.

What are your readings for Ammonia and Nitrate? Are you able to post those?

Oh and welcome to AA!

PWCs remove nitrites. And i haven't read your other posts, so I assume you are in a cycle. If that is the case then change enough water to bring it down to 0.25ppm or less.

Nitrites are toxic to all fish. If you reading gets to 0.5ppm or higher, change out water.

What are your readings for Ammonia and Nitrate? Are you able to post those?

Oh and welcome to AA!

Ammonia is at .5 ppm, and nitrates are at 20 ppm.

the fish don't look too stressed, they're colorful and very active, just wanted to correct any issues before the put too much unnecessary stress on my fish, I mean, the wife's cat is stressful enough...

0.5ppm for either Ammonia or Nitrite is the upper limit you want to see before problems start. Both are very toxic and if your reading get any higher, your fish will become harmed.

Recommend an immediate 30% PWC and test again. Safe levels are 0ppm and once your tank has finished cycling properly, it will maintain 0ppm without intervention except for normal weekly/fortnightly PWC maintenance.

But in the meantime while that bacteria colony is yet to become fully established you'll need to help it along. Strongly advise daily tests and correction via PWCs as needed.

Your fish will thank you :)

would Tetra Safe Start help the process along without harming my Cardinals? thinking about adding some...

Back
Top Bottom