Nitrite/Nitrate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Helloelliee

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay so I've had my 55 gallong tank up and running with fish in it for almost 3 weeks now. (Please don't tell me its not good to do fish-in cycling I did not find any of this out until after I got my fishies and the people at the store told me it was totally okay) Anywho.. almost 3 weeks now and my ammonia is 0.25 which is the highest it's been yet. But my nitrite/nitrates have remained at 0 since it's been running. Like aren't they suppose to rise? And when? I feel like they should've already risen. I've been doing daily 25% water changes. Thanks!:fish2:

what fish do you have in the tank? if you don't have a lot of fish, the daily 25% changes might have been getting rid of too much ammonia and starving the bacteria, keeping it from colonizing

I would like to say you should see nitrItes any day, but It can take up to 8 weeks to fully cycle a tank with fish and without any help, and depending on your environment. You should be doing at least 50% daily water changes to keep the fish safe from the ammonia. What kind of filtration do you have?

Is there any way you could get someone to give you some filter material from an established tank that you could put in your filter? I used a bag of sand substrate that states it contained active bacteria for freshwater, and I ordered a seeded sponge filter from angelsplus.com
With these items in my tank I went ahead and stocked it and within 4 days I already had nitrAtes at 5ppm and Ammonia and NitrItes have registered at 0 every day. However I am testing the water each and every day and am fully prepared to do daily water changes if I detect any issues.
I would offer to send you some seeded filter media, but my tank is not established yet. Also be aware that if you do take anybody's filter media, there runs the risk of picking up things like snails and diseases like ICH. Angelsplus is a reputable site and i haven't heard anything negative.
Good luck!

Oh and make sure that you are NOT cleaning your filter or rinsing out your sponges during this time. You want to see a cloudy tank at some point because that would indicate a bacterial bloom. My tank has been white and cloudy for the past two days.

You will have to develop a lot of patience. It may take 6 weeks to 2 months to fully cycle. It will depend on a lot of variables. Just keep checking your levels daily and keep up on your water changes. Nature will take it's course.

I agree to just be patient. The water changes are fine, you are not going to starve the bacteria, there is a constant production of waste in the tank so that's not a concern.

Also, it's okay to do fish-in cycling.

i completely agree with everyone. i think to really speed things up you should find someone with an established tank and get there filter media or a cup full of the gravel.

You can also ask to just borrow some of someones else's gravel. Put it in something like a media bag (pantyhose?) and just hang it in your tank. It will help the cycle get a jump. After you're done and your tank has produced enough bacteria on its own, just give it back.

Oh and btw to answer the first question! My tank is stocked with 2 gouramis, some tetras, some platys, and some catfish, and one algae eater. They guy at the petstore told me i'd be okay with that many fish at once, but also have learned my lesson by just reading off of the internet. Never trust those guys again -.-

Back
Top Bottom