Nitrite Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rudymanitou

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just wondering about an issue I am having with Nitrites.
Right now it seems in the last 48 hours the nitrites in our tank have spiked. Is this just another stage of the tank cycling. Last week I had a ph and ammonia problem and now they are under control and then the nitrite problem started on Firday.

I have used prime to neutralize the nitrites. Is there anything else we should be doing. I also did a 40 % water change on Thursday night. Should I do another small water change or just leave things.

Thanks In advance

Nitrites means that the ammonia bacteria has esttablished and now the nitrite bacteria is growing. Wait for a nitrate spike do a water change and you will be ready for fish

Yes, that is how things are supposed to be going. You might want to read up on the Nitrogen cycle again and try to fully understand the process. It's something you need to know if you're going to be keeping fish.

Thanks for all your guys help.

I have read quite a bit about the cycle, I just wanted to make sure the values were not too high. I did not want to harm any fish.

I just checked the water with a master test kit and the Nitrite has dropped between 0 ppm and 0.25 ppm.

PH is at 7.4
Nitrate is around 30 ppm
Ammonia is about 0.10 ppm

Let me know if there is anything we have missed.

Things seem to be quieting down now. Sigh of relief.

Thanks again everyone.

Hang on, are you doing a fishless cycle or with fish? If you have fish in the tank you need to get the nitrites down with pwc's.

If you are doing a fishless cycle you should actually bump up your ammonia level (pure ammonia, fish food, shrimp, etc...) until the cycle completes. If it is fishless, you DO NOT want to use products that remove the ammonia or nitrItes as that basically disrupts the whole cycle process. Keep the ammonia level up, watch the nitrItes spike and then drop to zero, and when you can feed the tank 4ppm of ammonia and within 24 hours it converts from ammonia to nitrItes to nitrAtes you're cycled. Then you just do a large water change to get your nitrAtes into safe levels and add your fish.

There is fish in the tank.

I had to change the filter two weeks ago so it kind of threw things off. The filter that came with the tank was terrible.

As soon as i saw the Nitrites spike a bit, I used Prime to neutralize them. That was on Saturday. I just tested earlier tonight and it seems all is good now.

rudymanitou said:
There is fish in the tank.

I had to change the filter two weeks ago so it kind of threw things off. The filter that came with the tank was terrible.

As soon as i saw the Nitrites spike a bit, I used Prime to neutralize them. That was on Saturday. I just tested earlier tonight and it seems all is good now.

Just an FYI, but when you swap filters like that rather than taking the old one out, leave it in to seed the new one with bacteria.

PWC's everyday or every other day will help you get thru what is most likely a mini cycle.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

I found that out after the fact.

Should I still do another water change. The Nitrites are at about 0.10 ppm now, down from about 3.0ppm on Saturday.

One 20% pwc won't hurt just to make sure, right.

Thanks for the help.

rudymanitou said:
I found that out after the fact.

Should I still do another water change. The Nitrites are at about 0.10 ppm now, down from about 3.0ppm on Saturday.

One 20% pwc won't hurt just to make sure, right.

Thanks for the help.

I would. Ammo is bad but IMO, nitrItes are worse. Test water everyday and do a PWC if you see (or start to) see a spike. 20% twice a day is better than 40% at once is my rule of thumb.

If your fish starts to get a little sluggish, do a PWC right away.

Not sure if you use Prime, but it helps with ammo/n02/n03 too.

i used prime immediatly on saturday when it spiked.

so is 0.10 ppm for the Nitrites ok.
ammonio is fine and Nitrates are 30ppm which is good.
ph is 7.4

If it were me, I'd worry about the n02. Keep the PWC going till those bacteria show up.

Another FYI, but prime can be dosed up to 5X the norm, but be VERY careful.

Mr. Limpet said:
If it were me, I'd worry about the n02. Keep the PWC going till those bacteria show up.

Another FYI, but prime can be dosed up to 5X the norm, but be VERY careful.

+1 for the PWC
Rather than just adding prime, the best is also to do a PWC, as many as needed.

Back
Top Bottom