Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2003, 05:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Nitrite problems

can anyone help? i can't find any info on how to sort out my nitrite problems, not sure what to do, my pump has been running for 3 weeks now and i have had 2 small angels in for about 4 days
any ideas on what to do?
thanks

Old 05-02-2003, 06:18 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Under ideal conditions, the cycling process is typically about a month, but if conditions are not ideal, it can take up to six.

I recommend this article: http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-cycling.html for an explanation of the entire cycle process and the trends. You can also do a search on this site for a lot of discussions on the ammonia/nitrate/nitrite cycle.

Patience is the best recommendation I can give.

Old 05-02-2003, 06:28 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Moved to the FW getting Started forum....reefrunner69

If this is a SW tank...let us know and we'll move it to the SW forum. I concur with Bearfan's assesment, it's too early to be expecting 0 nitrites.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 06:29 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

LOL, apparently Bearfan beat me to the move...

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 06:35 AM   #5

sorry was not sure where to ask, i'm doing what i was told by the retailer who sold me the tank, he told me 2 - 3 weeks for cycle? should i take the fish out or will they be ok for now ?
Old 05-02-2003, 06:50 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Do you have somewhere else to put them (ie: an established tank)? Angels can be really sensative.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:08 AM   #7

no i only have this 1 i have an old 3 foot 1 but it has a large crack in the glass and nothing to heat or filter it, i've spent all my spare money on this 1 the only way i can take them out is to take them back to the shop
Old 05-02-2003, 10:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to hisc1ay Send a message via Yahoo to hisc1ay
Your best bet right now might just be a water change. If you have insanely high nitrite, do about a 10-20% water change. Also make sure your ammonia is low. If your nitrite is really high, your ammonia should be little or nothing. At least mine was.

Keep us posted.

-j
Old 05-02-2003, 05:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to angelstiger
Not to be the guy who slaps the kids hand. but this is the second entry I have seen today from someone who is trying to cycle a tank with angels. Angels are a fish that is fairly sensative to water conditions and will probably not survive the stress of cycling. In my opinion the best fish to cycle a tank with are zebra danios. They are cheap and they are hardy. You know even those of us who have been doing this for years, Don't put a fish in a tank until we are sure we have the right conditions for them to live a long happy life. Research, Research Research. Make sure you know what your doing, before you do it. Your dealing with a life form, not a room decoration.
55 gal. livebearers, 55 gal. oscar, 29 gal. tetras, 29 gal. angels, 29 gal. female bettas, 20 gal. barbs, 20 gal. guppies, 10 gal. fry, 10 gal. grow out, 10 gal. quaretine, 10 gal. feeder, (16) 1 gal. male betta
Yeah i'm getting too many aquariums. Maybe I'll stop setting them up after I get a 125 or 180 or 300 gallon...... Sure I will. hahahaha
angelstiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 04:26 AM   #10

please don't slap my hand! i was working on the info i got from the guy in the shop who sold me the set up, he told me it would be ready for fish after a 2 week cycle. just to say my angels are fine the seem to be happy enough

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com