Nitrite Problems / Concerns? - Updated?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TitanBry77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all, I have been battling a Nitrite problem in my tank for some time now! I have been to local Aquarium stores etc and been able to get my Nitrite level down to 0ppm but eventually it ends up back in the dangerous levels.

To tell you the basics I have a 20gal freshwater tank, 2 live plants, and 1 large silver dollar, a plecostamus and a few of the small chinese algae eater fish. I had the gravel in there for 8 years and was told that could be an issue, so I entirely removed all the gravel items in tank etc. For a good 2 weeks I did a few 50% water changes a week. Cleaned all filters, (Whisper 40Gal) Changed my carbon filters etc. The tank went through its natural cycle again in which the Nitrite spiked, then eventually dropped to 0.

I have been checking Nitrite levels nearly 2-3 times a week and just last nite i noticed yet again its back in the danger zone. I feed the fish a tiny pinch every other day, the Ammonia level is at 0, PH is perfect, water hardness test is fine. I don't know why this keeps happening?

Any help suggestions etc?

Thanks!

I agree, suddenly having a nitrite issue after several years without one is weird. What is your nitrate level (if you know). Has anything changed in the home recently in regard to plumbing or water source?

I tell ya I had this problem once before, it was a pain to keep under control too, I just did 50 % water changes every day for a bout a week and they fell down and finalyl stayed down....good luck

Im not sure what my "Nitrate" levels are, I haven't tested that, my problem is "NITRITE" should I also be testing Nitrate? I know they are related somehow. Its a big pain i tell ya!

How old are your test kits? If they ahve been around for a while they could give you bad readings. If you haven't already, take a sample of water to your LFS and have them test it for you, and compare what they get to what you get. They should test enough water to go through test kits before they get bad. Nitrite is not a difficult test (compared to iron or even nitrate) so it should be possible to accurately measure a low level with a good kit.

I have taken it to 2 different local fish stores and both read the same, high Nitrite. Stinks.

Do you think it is overstocked? It is 25 Gallon and only has the 4 tiny chinese algae eaters, a very small placo, and the Silver dollar?

I bought the Nitrate test kit, my Nitrate is high, at about 100ish . Nitrite is also high, the Ammonia is at 0ppm. PH is perfect.

I tested the tap water also with all the kits, PH is very high out of the tap, Nitrate is 0ppm.

For now I am putting the NitraZorb pad in to help reduce both the Nitrate and Nitrite as well as added some of the aquarium salt to help aid in the fish that are already in the tank. Other than that I don't know why it keeps spiking, maybe it wasn't fully finished cycling??

Whoa there, re-test your nitrates. 100ish and your fish would be dead. And what were your exact readings for nitrite?

If nitrates are around 100, the fish still wouldn't die. Has to be much higher. But it is not good to keep it that high either, will stress the fish, diseases and parasites will get the advantage, etc.

My recommendation, 50% PWC's either every day or every other day til you get the levels down, and it gets under control. Could be that the cycle is still not complete after changing out the gravel.

Also, with your current stocking, in the future it will be majorly overstocked, but at the current fish sizes, you are fine.

Ok thanks for all the help, So, contant water changes won't affect the cycle? I posted on another forum and they seem to think also that the Cycle wasn't complete, i just saw it drop to 0 assumed it was done and then got fish. Let it continue, and do water changes?

Thanks.

Ok, so now time has gone by, I have seen the Nitrate lower to about 40ppm, which I read is acceptable, Nitrite is also lowering but still not to 0. I have been using every other day the Aquazelm(sp?) and I have also placed in the filter a PhosX by Hagen(sp?) pouch which both are supposed to remove Nitrite/Trate etc.

Now, over the weekend I lost one of my Chinese Algae eaters, so tested everything, still all the same, Ammonia is 0ppm also... but.... my normally perfect PH, is now, very low, on a suggestion of my LFS I added a bit of baking soda today hopefully it will come up some. I did a partial water change last week, but was told also not to do too many water changes.... Argh! Im almost ready to give up!

Careful on adjusting the ph. Only do it a little at a time or it could stress and even kill your fish. Could put crushed coral in the filter as well, to bring up the ph some til it cycles at a safe speed, and can always remove it after the cycle is complete and the ph starts going high. I've cycled 3 tanks now, 1 with fish and 2 fishless, and in all times, I had the ph drop out on me. And my only cure for it was water changes regularly. When it dropped to 6.5, I did a 50% PWC, even with it being fishless cycle, as I wanted to keep my ph to where my bacteria was colonizing at a good pace. PWC's are the safest thing you can do. If possible, do another PWC to try to get nitrate down to 20ppm or lower.

Well 2 of the CAE's died, the Pleco I think I'll keep for now, if it eventually gets too big I will give it to my bro-in law, he has a 50gal or I know some other ppl I could give it to, I may take it back to the fish store, they will take it back. I have just 2 CAE's now, can prob take one of them back, I still need somthing to control the algae. Ok so Ill remove the Aquazelm and PhosX and try Au-Naturale, and multiple water changes.

That is what I would do. You cannot do to many water changes. As long as the temperature is close and the KH/PH is close and you use dechlor your fish will be fine. They actually will be very happy. I did two 50% changes a week when my angels were little. They grew quickly and seemed very happy.

Take all the chemical removing pads out and just let the cycle finish.

Well, I am down to the Silver dollar and 1 CAE (took others back) The silver dollar Ive had for 8 years, and I'm not letting him go, I can't imagine they live much more than 8 years?!

I have removed all water stuff like the NitraZorb pillows, not putting any chemicals etc, just water change and letting the tank do its thing. So far as of last nite my Nitrite is still remaining at 0ppm, PH is perfect, Ammonia 0ppm, and the Nitrate is around 20-30ppm, which I read is acceptable. I will do a couple more water changes and then make sure all is stable and begin to add a couple of "small" fish which will stay small.

Now my question is, when and how often should I change filter media etc, I have the Whisper 40, it has 2 foam inserts and 2 of the pouches that contain carbon. And Im sure when I change them the levels may spike for a bit? I also read that it's best to NOT change the foam just the pouches, I have usually changed them about every 2 mos. I also read that adding new fish can cause the levels to spike too?

Thanks for all the help!

Now my question is, when and how often should I change filter media etc, I have the Whisper 40, it has 2 foam inserts and 2 of the pouches that contain carbon. And Im sure when I change them the levels may spike for a bit? I also read that it's best to NOT change the foam just the pouches, I have usually changed them about every 2 mos. I also read that adding new fish can cause the levels to spike too?

If my filter held two of the pouches I would only change one at a time.I would do that only when it got so raggid that it wasn't filtering solids any more.The carbon is a none issue as far as when to change em out,just the overall condition of the pouch it self.

Don't replace the sponges at all...if the get to grungy just swish em around in your PWC bucket while doing the change.The bacteria that has your numbers looking so good live in the filter media and sponges.

Follow the above instructions and you'll have no "spikes" related to the filtration.

Also add fish slowly to avoid to big changes to bioload and you'll have no spike there either.

Lastly...consider a small scool of oto cats (4 or 5) for your algea issue.They stay small,but they are a little sensitive so be sure your tank is stable before getting em.

Sounds to me like your doing well.Best of luck.

Fatz

Thanks... so i thought, i just tested the Nitrite... it has risen a bit, its about .25-.50ppm range, is this safe? I don't understand why it has risen, it doesnt make any sense, Ive barely fed the fish etc. The Nitrate is hanging arount .20ppm.??

.25 to .5 is fine for the fish,but shouldn't be expected in an established tank.

I'm not the most experienced guy here,but I've been reading heaps and heaps over the last few monthes.

If I were in your situation I would wonder what is driving the ammonia/nitrite level so high...the conversion from trites to trates is a slow one and i'm thinking you are at the back end of a cycle (good news).....

Plants?Fish?shrimp?Frog?...anything die and get unnoticed?

Back
Top Bottom