Nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csig76

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to the hobby and have really been enjoying it. My fish seem happy and striving but I want to do things the right way at least as much as possible. I use the API test kit. My ammonia is very near 0 and my nitrate is approx 10 ppm. Ph is 6.8. Problem is the nitrites are what seems to be through the roof. Like nearing 5ppm. I do partial WC(25-50%) every other day and it doesn't really seem to bring the nitrites down. Any suggestions?

I am new to the hobby and have really been enjoying it. My fish seem happy and striving but I want to do things the right way at least as much as possible. I use the API test kit. My ammonia is very near 0 and my nitrate is approx 10 ppm. Ph is 6.8. Problem is the nitrites are what seems to be through the roof. Like nearing 5ppm. I do partial WC(25-50%) every other day and it doesn't really seem to bring the nitrites down. Any suggestions?

Hello csig...

Ammonia and nitrite should be "0". If they're not, then the 50 percent water change should be done weekly. Hopefully, you have good tap water. For a little insurance, I would use Acurel nitrite removing filter media in the tank's filter if possible. The product has worked well for me. Floating plants like Hornwort, Anacharis (Egeria Densa) and Pennywort will help filter the tank water. I float these in all my planted tanks.

B

It's been running for close to 7 weeks with the fish in for 5 weeks. Did not read up on cycle till fish were already in.

Most likely your reaching the end of cycle, do 50% wc until you get trites down, one will take 4ppm down to 2ppm, another down to one and so on..you could cut feeding to every other day if not already doing so as well. Your ph is kind of low, can you add crushed coral or limestone to get it up above 7?

Ok, I will continue with the water changes. Yes I can add anything that is beneficial to the tank. Does crushed coral/limestone just get thrown into tank? How much? Thanks for ur replies!
Ps... 13g tank

Ok, I will continue with the water changes. Yes I can add anything that is beneficial to the tank. Does crushed coral/limestone just get thrown into tank? How much? Thanks for ur replies! Ps... 13g tank
Crushed coral, get some sort of aquarium safe mesh bag, approx 1 hand full of c c, tuck this in your filter box or anywhere water will wash over it, limestone, a piece approx the size of an egg anywhere, look nice as decoration too. Do one or the other..

Back
Top Bottom