Nitrites not in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soccerstar6

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is there anything in a fish tank that can prevent nitrites? Because my 10 gallon has readings of ammonia and nitrates, but no nitrites, and its been like that for the past month.

Going off the information in your signature, it sounds like you are cycling your tank. Therefore, you would want ammonia and nitrites - at least at first. Do you have fish in the tank or are you doing a fishless cycle?

Yes, i know that it's cycling, and that's why im worried about no nitrites in my tank. I am doing a fishless cycle, i put a raw shrimp in a media bag to cycle it. Any ideas how this could happen?

Have up tested your tap water? Ours is about 10ppm nitrates, so when we were cycling we had ammonia and nitrate for about 5 weeks, then two weeks with all three. The tank is now fully cycled and we keep the nitrates down with plants :)

As I say, plants will help. Plants need potassium, phosphorus and nitrogen to survive. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrates are fantastic sources of nitrogen, and once established, plants will suck it up.
It might be worth checking all the different water sources in your home. Our kitchen sink is 5ppm nitrates less than our bathroom taps.
Nitrates are safer than nitrites or ammonia, so at those levels, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Sorry, just realised it sounds like I've said .5 ammonia is safe. .5 ammonia (or any level) is toxic to your fish. I'm not sure how to get rid of ammonia straight from your tap because I've never had that problem myself. The only thing I can think of without using chemicals is to put lots of plants in your tank.

So if there are nitrates present in your tap water then the cycling process may take longer? Or do the Nitrates just spike along with the ammonia until the nitrites show up? Nitrates can't prevent nitrites from establishing all together can they? I thought I was understanding this... :( I HATED chemistry.

Soccerstar, have you considered using jugs of water from the store for your tank? It may initially be a little costly, but not so much later when you're doing pwc of 25% every two weeks after things are established.
I know now that you have to be sure the water is not distilled, and has carbonates and bicarbonates for buffering. You can buy a few and use your test kit to test the alkalinity of each. I understand that is what indicates the water's buffering capacity.
If you've been at this a month though, you may want another alternative than starting over!

Thanks:) I will do some research on if there is anyway to get rid of nitrites.

If you are doing a fishless cycle then you want nitrites... they will begin to drop and you will see nitrates. The easiest way to remove nitrites and nitrates are to do water changes. This essentially dilutes them to levels that are not toxic to the fish. But again, since you do not have any fish in the tank, you should just let it go. Also, be aware that if you have high levels of nitrates you will not be able to get an accurate nitrite reading.

Engel said:
So if there are nitrates present in your tap water then the cycling process may take longer? Or do the Nitrates just spike along with the ammonia until the nitrites show up? Nitrates can't prevent nitrites from establishing all together can they? I thought I was understanding this... :( I HATED chemistry.

It sounds like you've gotten your nitrItes and nitrAtes confused. Ammonia comes first when cycling, then nitrites, then these drop and nitrates rise after that.
It's the nitrates that we are talking about. They aren't harmful in low amounts. Nitrites are harmful.

If you are doing a fishless cycle then you want nitrites... they will begin to drop and you will see nitrates. The easiest way to remove nitrites and nitrates are to do water changes. This essentially dilutes them to levels that are not toxic to the fish. But again, since you do not have any fish in the tank, you should just let it go. Also, be aware that if you have high levels of nitrates you will not be able to get an accurate nitrite reading.

I'm sorry I wasnt clear what I was talking about. I want to find away to get rid of the bacteria in my tap water.

Back
Top Bottom