Nitrogen Cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fox1

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 10g fish tank is or was going through the fish-in nitrogen cycle. I'm a beginner so I had no idea what the nitrogen cycle was until I did research after I got fish and put them in the tank. I gave my self new tank syndrome. Here is the situation. My ammonia was through the roof for about a week and half to 2 weeks. Then is started to drop. When that happened the nitrites rose through the roof. But then a day or two later the ammonia and nitrites were both holding at .25 and lower and not rising or falling. I use the API master test kit. Then I used Tetra easy stripes to test the nitrates and they are at zero, they never had a jump or anything. Its been about a week now and nothing has started to rise, so is my tank done cycling? I started to use Seachem Stability to help with the nitrogen cycle. Could this have sped up the process and that's why my nitrites dropped so fast? Any answers would be great! I posted a picture of my water quality for ammonia and nitrites. :thanks:

Attachments

• IMG_2099.JPG
    IMG_2099.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 71
I used Stability, too, and I'm sure it sped up my cycle, but I'd be cautious that your tank is ready yet. (I don't trust the strips.) Since you have the API master kit, use its nitrate test as a check on the reading the Tetra test gave you.

We don't know much about your setup, fish, filter etc.
Most setups take about a month to cycle, providing you do things right.
I can tell you that impatience can be your worst enemy when cycling.
I also advice you to stay away from additives claiming a speedy cycle time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

if the ammonia and nitrite were that high, the nitrate is probably around 50-100 ppm.
Re-test it. the test strips are notoriously horrible and the API nitrate test will give false reading if you don't shake the chemicals up for at least a couple minutes according to the directions.

the ammonia and nitrite readings look fine, but retest for the nitrate, it's not possible for it to be 0.

Sounds to me like that it is now cycled. I would keep testing every couple of days just to make sure. My ammonia took a while before nitrites started to form and the nitrites probably took 4 weeks or so before the finally came down to 0 but it happened every so quick!!

60L tank/13gal and superfish Aqua internal 100 & marina 110i filters
Stock- x3 Male Guppies x2 male Platies x4 White cloud minnows & 3 live plants
**Beginner**

The nitrates were 0 with the API master test.

Probably means the cycle is not completely complete yet then as there should be something that appearing. Have you followed the instructions to the letter on the API test kit for the nitrates? As you have to shake the bottle for a while to make sure the test is accurate. Test your ammonia and nitrites too

60L tank/13gal and superfish Aqua internal 100 & marina 110i filters
Stock- x3 Male Guppies x2 male Platies x4 White cloud minnows & 3 live plants
**Beginner**

Probably means the cycle is not completely complete yet then as there should be something that appearing. Have you followed the instructions to the letter on the API test kit for the nitrates? As you have to shake the bottle for a while to make sure the test is accurate. Test your ammonia and nitrites too

I agree. If you've had ammonia and nitrites spike and then go to zero, then there have to be measurable nitrates. Try the API test again, but give bottle 2 a good shake for at least 30 seconds. If you still get zero, you might want to have your LFS double check the results for you.

Back
Top Bottom