No algae. Cause for concern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dieanna

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was thinking about it today and realized that I have had no algae growth in either of my tanks. Granted the 55 gal is new, but the 10 gal had been running for quite a few months now. It's not that I would want a huge algae problem, but it seems like I should have seen a little by now. Is this something I need to be concerned with? How soon would someone expect algae to start growing?

What kinds of fish do you have in your tank? because I don't get algae either but my baby mollies are always picking at my fake plants so I'm assuming that they're eating algae or something off them ._.

If you never see visible algae its not really something to be concerned about.. it just means that you dont have excess nutrients such as NO3 and PO4.. HTH

*holds chest* for a second there I thought that said it is something to be concerned about lol... and is that a good or a bad thing you don't have excess of that stuff? o.o well..Nitrate is a given, that's bad but what about phosphate? 8O

My 55 tank has been up for 10 months, I am just now getting some algae on the front glass. I keep nitrates low, 5 ppm or less. I had an initial brown algae bloom that always seems to herald the completion of the cycle, then very little. The Pleco munched all the brown stuff greedily, it seems rather uninterested in the green stuff.

No need to be concerned. :D Your tank is properly balanced. Be thankful that you aren't fighting green spotted algae like I am. Ugh.

I havn't seen algae in my tank since the guys in the planted forum gave me some advice. Thanks to waterchanges...however much trouble they may be...

Oh good. I've seen at least a little algae in every tank I've ever looked at and started thinking something was wrong with my tanks. I guess I'm doing okay then. Thanks. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom