No feeding for 3 nights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sean28

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I have 2 tanks, one with Neons with a bottom cleaner (forgot his name, doh! )and the other just one Beta.

In a few weeks from now I'll need to leave for the weekend and I won't be able to feed my fish and I also have nobody to watch/feed them while I'm away.

Will they be ok if they're not feed for those 3 nights?
I assume they should be ok.

I won't need to worry much about the water, both are filtered.

Thanks,

I ran into this same situation a couple weeks ago. I just bought the weekend feeders, you can find them at your LFS. They seemed to work well for me. You could also buy an auto feeder, I have found them for pretty cheap around town. Hope I could help.

I wouldn't be too worried about it. I have let mine go from Thursday night until Monday morning with few problems. I say few because my angelfish got hungry and ate a few adult guppies. :) They were really hungry Monday morning when I got back from camp, but they didn't seem in bad shape. I figure if they got really hungry they could munch on some java moss or swords. :)

They'll absolutely be fine, and might even benefit from a few nights without feeding. Every 2-3 weeks, I go away for a weekend and just feed the fish before I go...so they're going 3 days without food. I got snowed in one time and they ended up going 5 days without food. Mine have gone a little over a week without feeding and absolutely no bad effects besides a little extra begging.
Usually, the advice is if you'll be gone for 2 weeks or less, turn off the lights and don't feed them.

Those weekend feeders are more likely to do harm than good. Look at the size of them and compare to what you normally feed--there's no way they could go through a "3-day feeder" in 3 days!

Thanks for all your input, maybe the Neon's won't mind much since lately they don't eat much and I only feed once a day but the Beta, he's always hungry but he's not fat which is good.

I was also wondering if I leave for week which will happen later this summer, but I'll be back in town every 3rd day or so.

Again thanks :)

They'll be fine. The feeders cause more problems than they solve. In the wild fish likely do not eat every day. They will eat as much as they can when it is available in case their next meal isn't for a while. Doesn't mean they need to eat just because they're begging.

Back
Top Bottom