No filter 24 hrs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So disaster struck. I am on vacation. Fish sitter reported fish dying and realized the heater was not working. The water was only 50!! I talked her through buying and installing a new heater but now she says the filter is not working.

She can't get there again today. I am on my way home now. It will be about 27 hrs since it was on.

Do you think 27 hours with no filter will be a big issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Did the tank get unplugged?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Did the tank get unplugged?

Yes she said she first unplugged the filter by accident but quickly re plugged it and thought it was working. Problem is I don't think she can go back today. I will be home in about 10 hours but its probably been off all night.

Only problem is the good bacteria in your filter could die off. Restarting your cycle again. Would the filter media in your tank remain wet even when off ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If the filter is an HOB type, even though the siphon may draw some water back into the tank, the media should stay moist.
A few years ago I was on vacation and my house was without power for 5 and a half days. Temps outside were 90-95 F during the day. Probably better then being chilled I suppose. Fish were fine thankfully. Good luck and post an update when you can.

May I ask the temperature inside your house.... 50f ???? Is your fish tank inside a fridge ??

Almost apparently! I am on vacation so the heating is off. I am in SoCal but we are having unusually cold weather. Home in 10 mins and will get the heating on!

Ugh. News not good. From a tank of around 20 or so fish only 8 left.

Thanks for the input today. Next time I will make sure I have a spare heater in hand for the babysitter.

Wowwww. That's awful, sorry for the losses. Yep, a second heater and filter are always good ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Sorry for the loss. Last thing you want to see after a long trip.
I'm thinking the heater that malfunctioned had to work harder than normal to compensate for the temperature drop in the house. Running multiple heaters *might* overcome this as they will share the load. Or setting the house heater unit to run on a lower than normal but reasonable temperature while you are away.

Last edited:
Bummer sally:(

Thanks guys. Good idea re keeping the house heating on low and I will have a spare tank heater for sure next time!

Back
Top Bottom