No GloFish for California!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd keep em, i mean, wouldnt eat em, but they look nice. Its not like theyre gonna grow to a human size and eat me...

I read an article that stated that all the glow fish would be distribute sterile so there would be no way of them tampering with eco systems. This quote goes through my head from:

Jurassic Park:

Henry Wu: You are saying that a group of animals, entirely composed of females, will breed?
Dr. Ian Malcolm: No, I am merely stating that uhh... life finds a way.

I know Jurassic park wasn't about fish....

I think everyone that is interest in the whole tampering concept should read Michael Crichton's preface to his book "Prey" it is a pretty interesting read.

Yo nice tank, by the way. When I get my new tank im gonna go the killer method for cycling... Im'a take all of my gravel, put em into some sacks like the ones for carbon inserts and then im gonna put them in my new tank... Ugly decoration but im hoping it will do, and then, after a while im gonna start taking out little by little each of the sacks so bacteria has time to recolonize my tank.

By the way, what is your method for cycling?

That would be a good idea, the sterilizing thing, but then again, it would be nice to have litte glofish fry

I don't know if it applies to "all" glow fish but the article sugggested that any glow fish in that particular country would only be accepted as sterile specimens.... Hate to be the guy that has to inspect everyfish.... (just kidding)

For cycling, I used 10% ammonium hydroxide solution aka ACE hardware "jantorial strength" ammonia. I used 14 drops a day 'til I saw nitrites, and then cut back to 7 a day. I would recommend a second bacteria inoculation as soon as nitrites show up. I was stalled out with climbing nitrites until I re-inoculated.

It seems to have worked good! I put 15 fish in all at once, and ammonia/nitrite levels are at 0/0 24 hours later. Everybody looks healthy, happy and hungry :)

As far as sterilizing the glowfish, some sort of hormone treatment would probably do the trick. I Know that some bad breeders will give hormones to Aulonocara juvies to make them color, and that often makes them sterile later, as well as fading the fishes color permanently :(

Pix of my new fishies are in the gallery!

This ammonium hidroxide aka ACE hardware "jantorial strenght" amonia, is it the thing you use to clean the kitchen stove? Or is it something else?

Yep! It's good for cleaning as well. That's why I got the gallon bottle for 3.49 :)

Gets those drip spots on my glass in no time.

Back
Top Bottom