No Heater question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

datkidkevin

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok i have a betta in a 2 gallon tank Without a heater he's doin fine. i want to put like 2 neon tetras or maybe 1 serpae tetra will they be able to live with him without a heater?
I know there tropical fish but i heard sumthing about tetras that they can live in cooler water conditions.let me know plz

depends on the temp of the tank... really, bettas need warmer water, like 78-80 and most tropical fish need mid 70's... realistically, that tank is too small for anything but the betta though

I would agree that most fish need bigger than a 2.5 gallon tank if there are to be multiple fish in it. That said, I have a 2.5 gallon tank - that I'm currently not using - and I kept 2 guppies and 3 neons in it at one time. They seemed to do fine without a heater (i.e. they didn't die). I have to say I don't think I would do that again, though. Is there any way you could manage a 10 gallon set up? I have two Top Fin ten gallon set ups, and just the hood and the lights alone keep the temp of the tank at a nice 76* - 78* (the hoods and lights come with the tank if you buy the set up pack). I have a heater in one of the tanks (needed it to get rid of Ich), but not the other. I find that a 10 gallon tank is really easy to maintain. I understand, though, that the 2.5 may be the only size you can work with right now, so I'd say just stick with the betta.

i have a 10 gal but its dun...n i found a 2 gallon i had n put my betta in there..ok..what if i put a barb.(cherry)?

Do not put a barb with the betta. Yikes!
Like Rookie said, bettas need a heater, because the water needs to be at least 78*. :)

Do not put a barb with the betta. Yikes!
Like Rookie said, bettas need a heater, because the water needs to be at least 78*. :)

I live in WI, don't have a heater in either of my tanks, and have consistently had my patio door open for the past few months (even though its been cold) and my tanks are both still at 80 degrees. Guess that's what happens when the people who live below you like to try to make their apartment a desert. :p

I have two Top Fin ten gallon set ups, and just the hood and the lights alone keep the temp of the tank at a nice 76* - 78* (the hoods and lights come with the tank if you buy the set up pack). I have a heater in one of the tanks (needed it to get rid of Ich), but not the other. I find that a 10 gallon tank is really easy to maintain. I understand, though, that the 2.5 may be the only size you can work with right now, so I'd say just stick with the betta.

The problem with this setup is that when the tank lights go off the tank temp will drop throughout the night, and then ramp up again when it's daytime and the lights are on. This creates a constant temperature cycle which can lead to stress and disease.

IMO all tanks need heaters regardless of size to maintain a constant temperature 24 hours a day. I recommend setting your tank heater 1-2F ABOVE the peak temperature the tank sees when the lights are on (usually right before the lights go off the tank will be the warmest unless near a natural light source such as a window). That way you will have the most stable temperatures at all times.

NOTE: The 1-2F above recommendation requires you to still be within the recommended temperatures for the species of fish being kept.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom