NO KH reading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kagentx

Aquarium Advice Activist
when i saw the carbonate hardness was at zero, i immediately put crushed corals in my canister filter. This brought the KH back to 5 degree but the pH became very akaline. My cardinals started dying and i was thinking the high pH had something to do with itl. How can i bring the KH back without increasing the pH so much?

What did the pH change to? You say 'very alkaline'...to me 'very alkaline' is 8.6.

I'm moving this to the main FW forum because it's not specific to plants.

Need to know what your previous/normal test results, and the current results, are for your tanks KH, GH, PH, type of substrate and any filter media such as peat etc...
Other helpful test results would be for your water source, out of the tap and after sitting for 24hrs.

You get absolutely no result/color tint with the first drop of reagent?
What type/brand and DOM (date of manufacture) is your test?
Look at the LOT# the last four digits are usually the DOM, e.g. 59A0603, 0603 is the DOM, any test over a year old is suspect.

5.DKH or 89.5ppm is really not that Alkaline for KH, what was your PH before and after?

What size (US gals) is your tank?
How much CC did you add and how long before you saw a result?
Did you add the CC to your filter or substrate?

**** Changing PH, KH and GH water chemistry? It is best to study very carefully before trying to alter. ****

The pH reading was 6. after the Crushed corals, the pH is at 7.5.

I use the aquarium Pharmaceutical test kit. If the first drop doesn't turn the water blue, then the kH is 0.

=/ my fish are starting to die. The mouth of my danio turned red.
grr this happened after i put the plants in i bought from aquariumplants.com.
but, it can also be from rinsing the filter pads with tap water...

I"ve had severe problems with my PH and KH in the past but before trying to anything I needed to research...
I really need the info I asked for in detail to really get a idea.
Tank size?
PH before and after?
KH ------------------
GH ------------------
How much CC added?
Substrate or filter?
How long before PH spike?

7.5 PH is not really on the high-end, but the 1.5 PH jump can be very detrimental if sudden.
CC normally takes awhile and is gradual in its buffering of PH, KH and GH, it generally has more effect on KH which then affects PH.
CC should be added gradually according to tank size, this step by step process normally takes weeks to achieve desired results.

It appears you may have other issues affecting your tank.
Never use untreated tapwater to do anything in the tank/filter, unless of course your tap comes from untreated wellwater...

Back
Top Bottom