No nets for plecos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enrgizerbunny

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've read this on here before that you shouldn't net a BN pleco. Is this true and why? I need to change my substrate so I've got to get him out. He's 4 inches long, just for reference.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They have barbs or something on their bristles and mouth apparently, if you use a very fine net it should be ok. Handling them is best but if it's anything like mine was??impossible..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've netted him before when he was young and didn't have his bristles. I'll try low water and a plastic container. Getting ready for substrate change.

A lot of catfish have sharp spines on their dorsal & pectoral fins that they can raise as a defence mechanism when they feel threatened.
The spines can get caught up in the net & are very hard to disentangle & the more you try the more stressed the fish gets & you really don't want to get to get stung by the spines.

A lot of catfish have sharp spines on their dorsal & pectoral fins that they can raise as a defence mechanism when they feel threatened.
The spines can get caught up in the net & are very hard to disentangle & the more you try the more stressed the fish gets & you really don't want to get to get stung by the spines.

Yah! That's what I meant;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Makes sense. I just like to know the reason for things rather than "that's just how you do it" for explanation.

I have always always had problems with plecos getting caught in nets, particularly their mouths. It doesn't seem to make a difference if I use a coarse or fine net.

In fact, I've had the same problem with a lot of my saltwater fish as well.

How to catch fish....

Attachments

• 1433456271092.jpg
    1433456271092.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 1433456288708.jpg
    1433456288708.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 1433456306512.jpg
    1433456306512.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 77
I recently rehomed mine with a net with zero issues. Here didnt even swim away the lazy slacker

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I recently rehomed mine with a net with zero issues. Here didnt even swim away the lazy slacker

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol - at feeding time the large ones are easy I find. The small ones (sigh) are diabolical to catch - I've given up.

Lol - at feeding time the large ones are easy I find. The small ones (sigh) are diabolical to catch - I've given up.

yeah he was HUGE. I see my buddies who bought his a week before me and its still tiny. Ours was massive and starting to get a bit rough. He would suck on the front of the glass and take up like 1/3 of it. It was ungodly fat lol. Plus he seemingly stopped eating algea and only wanted to bottom feed. We had to make the choice to swap him.

yeah he was HUGE. I see my buddies who bought his a week before me and its still tiny. Ours was massive and starting to get a bit rough. He would suck on the front of the glass and take up like 1/3 of it. It was ungodly fat lol. Plus he seemingly stopped eating algea and only wanted to bottom feed. We had to make the choice to swap him.

Is it easy to swap fish? I've always wondered if there are people that want full grown ones or something and how it all works? Like if there is a fee you have to pay.

Is it easy to swap fish? I've always wondered if there are people that want full grown ones or something and how it all works? Like if there is a fee you have to pay.

Petco will take unwanted fish no questions, no cost.
Unfortunately I can't do business with my local petco for a while due to a negligent death of a dog in their grooming department. The pets mart is 7 miles further but I'll make the trip on principle.

Petco will take unwanted fish no questions, no cost.
Unfortunately I can't do business with my local petco for a while due to a negligent death of a dog in their grooming department. The pets mart is 7 miles further but I'll make the trip on principle.

That is good.

Bad news on the dog :(

Back
Top Bottom