No to bowls!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

napacook

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought 2 fancy goldfish from a pet store 6ago with a starter kit and bowl (total beginner) I noticed that the 2nd day the water was cloudy so I assumed that I might of put too much food in so I cleaned out the water and the next day the water was cloudy again! Also I noticed a lot of small bubbles at the surface and top of the plants also my fish was always at the top of the bowl looking like they were gasping and looking pretty lazy ...so I used youtube for research and boy did I feel guilty and naive!! Instantly I went out and bought a proper tank (80L) was all I can afford right now with a filter and good water treatment I let the water treat for 2days in the tank then I added my fish within 5min they seem to perk up massively and more energetic! Also I woke up with the water crystal clear I will be buying test kits for the ammonia nitrate ect I have learned so much about these fish I've started to become addicted to finding out more about these cute fish with in a week from just buying them for a pretty ornament I'm becoming more of an enthusiast! Any tips and advice would be much appreciated! Here's before and after photos! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434970454.861270.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434970474.936180.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434970493.761294.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434970893.529985.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reputable places won't sell a bowl with goldfish, usually reserved for Betas. Not that they too don't appreciate more space. But I digress, gold fish are a cold water fish in the carp family. Depending on breed grow upto 12".

The two things I'd keep in mind with goldfish is oxygen and waste cleaning. Goldfish require a quick moving water with high dissolved oxygen. Goldfish produce a lot of waste. During respiration they release more ammonia through their gills than most fish. They also have one of the shortest digestive tracks so release a lot of waste back to the water.

To satisfy these needs Imo always use HOB rated for 2-3x the tank size. Don't use gravel filter as goldfish dig constantly and won't allow this to work properly. With the exception of shubunkins, comets, and common goldfish I'd recommend at least 30 gallons and 10 additional gallons for each additional fish. The others I'd recommend a pond.

I hope this helps

I don't think I have a gravel filter there's no tubes that reaches the bottom I'll be using a marina easy clean to get rid of waste and I was thinking once a week for water changes 50%?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434974201.703786.jpg this is the filter in using I've also ordered a bubbler pump off eBay

I thought you meant lawn bowls for a second there....

Don't think I've seen bowls for sale for a bit. Will have to check out.

Bowls are still quite common in the U.S.

Base rule of thumb for goldfish is 30g for the initial then add 10g for each additional goldfish. This is because of their extremely high waste output and large size.

Just going to leave this here.. This chart is with proper tank size and water quality..
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434982611.302380.jpg

Caleb

It disgusts me the size tanks that pet stores sell sometimes. Anything under 5 gallons needs to have a clearly defined list of what you can keep in there. The fact that WALMART sells fish just for people to stick in tiny tanks without filters or heaters until they die always makes me angry. I'm glad you did some research and you're helping your fish out.

Yeah They appear much happier and I can relax for now. [emoji4]

So by 80L you mean 80 liters, or 80 gallon long? Makes just a bit of a difference :lol: . Either way much better than a bowl, glad to see you're willing to give the fish a good home :)

80 litres uk terms im sure the U.S. Gallons are different to British measurements?

I've always assumed US pounds are mainly used?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallon

'The imperial gallon defined as 4.54609 litres, which is used in the United Kingdom, Canada, and some Caribbean; the US gallon defined as 231 cubic inches (3.785 l), which is used in the US and some Latin American and Caribbean countries'

I bought 2 fancy goldfish from a pet store 6ago with a starter kit and bowl (total beginner) I noticed that the 2nd day the water was cloudy so I assumed that I might of put too much food in so I cleaned out the water and the next day the water was cloudy again! Also I noticed a lot of small bubbles at the surface and top of the plants also my fish was always at the top of the bowl looking like they were gasping and looking pretty lazy ...so I used youtube for research and boy did I feel guilty and naive!! Instantly I went out and bought a proper tank (80L) was all I can afford right now with a filter and good water treatment I let the water treat for 2days in the tank then I added my fish within 5min they seem to perk up massively and more energetic! Also I woke up with the water crystal clear I will be buying test kits for the ammonia nitrate ect I have learned so much about these fish I've started to become addicted to finding out more about these cute fish with in a week from just buying them for a pretty ornament I'm becoming more of an enthusiast! Any tips and advice would be much appreciated! Here's before and after photos! View attachment 274106View attachment 274107View attachment 274108View attachment 274109

Each goldfish needs 10 gallon to themselves. They are very messy fish. Also, don't forget to put the temperature to about 20 to 30 degrees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You probably already have seen this section of the forum, but just in case you haven't
Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Then here is a great sticky thread for you to see

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

80 liters is appx 21 gallons - WAY better than a bowl, but the little babies won't stay small for long.

You should have a 40-60 gallon which is maybe 200 - 220 Liters

I am glad you are learning more about them and want to take great care of them!!!

Back
Top Bottom