NOISY cory cats sucking air from the surface?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had 5 cory cats (false julii & pepper) in my 55 for a little over two weeks and in the last few days, have noticed something kind of weird. Randomly between 12am-2am, I hear one or two of them up at the surface & it sounds like their blowing kisses, kind of a weird popping / sucking noise (my boyfriend & I have spent a lot of time mocking them). It reminds me of listening to one of my gourami eat freeze-dried bloodworms. Whichever is doing it will usually swim the length of the tank, spending most of his time just below the output from either of the filters. Water parameters are good (0 ammonia & nitrite, nitrate <20). Is it just them finding food that the other fish have missed, & they just happen to find it as I'm trying to sleep? Also seemed strange that they've only begun doing this recently. . .or does it mean that they are beginning secure enough that they can venture to the surface?

Thanks!

i occasionally see mine run up to the top, but never hear any noises... are you seeing any signs of rapid breathing or anything? It may just be one of the many funny things they do... and id love if you could include a clip of you "mimicking the sounds" lol

Thanks for the request, I'll work on that along with my imitation of snails eating off the glass :p It doesn't seem like it's always the same one, sometimes one of the peppers, the other night it was the largest of the julii's. I haven't noticed any rapid breathing among any of my fish but will try to be a bit more watchful when lights come in tomorrow. It may just be because the tank is in my bedroom that I notice it (plus I think they wait until I'm nearly asleep, like a leaky faucet). Also, they never do it for very long, just a few minutes, once or twice a night. Not noticing any damaged barbels, if that makes any difference.

Mine do that but never hang out at the top except to eat. Its a quick slap that sounds like a kiss, they are just surfacing to get a gulp of fresh air. Nearly if not all catfish species do this. They are bottom dwellers but they also surface alot to feed and get air.

Barbells wont make a difference and they are so fragile as it is.

My little guys don't come up for food yet but I figure they will with time, once they begin to feel more comfortable. Plus the gourami are pretty lazy so they plenty sink! Is their only doing it at night because they're nocturnal?

They arent a true nocturnal fish, thats a big misconception with catfish, they are actually diurnal predators, corydoras will hunt down fry because its natural to them but they are such a small catfish they tend to come out in the cover of night especially with bigger fish in the tank, Mine are out constantly during the day.

Cool, thanks. I'd thought mine were just especially brave when the lights were on! Glad I'm sticking with smaller fish then.

Is it a planted tank?, do you inject Co2 if it is planted? and if both are yes are you turning off Co2 at night?

~Graham

Back
Top Bottom