Non-Aggressive Male Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And to everyone who suggested a 3-5 gallon, I really didn't see any that worked with my size and cost restraints. They were all either wide or expensive.

Letting the tank "cycle itself" is a lie that she told you. Since you did not fishless cycle, take out and replace as much water as you can without making Gilbert flop, every day.

Edit: The tank will "cycle" without your help, but this cycling process is a result of pain-inducing toxins in the water that scar the gills of your fish. The cycle is establishing bacterial colonies to safely process and regulate this bacteria at the same rate your fish produces it. Until those bacteria are established (takes up to 6 weeks, even longer without a filter) Gilbert will be poisoning himself with his own poop, and his water will quickly turn foul, poisonous, and dangerous for him.

You said it has a "broken bubbler". Does this bubbler have any sort of sponge or filter pad that it pushes the water through? If not, this will not really aid the cycle or clean the water in any way.

Don;t listen to the LFS. The majority of them are trying to sell you stuff and/or don't know what they are talking about. Some do, most don't. I agree with taylor above, and I think the 2 will suffice but still not enough room IMO. But, it's better than a vase :)

Not to burst any bubbles but Taylorodw is right.

Whoever told you that this tank will cycle itself and you pretty much don't have to worry about it isn't being very helpful.

Sure, any tank will cycle on its own. But without frequent water changes and daily testing, as Taylor said the fish will only suffer in its own waste.

This tank is pretty much the exact same thing as having a Bowl. The "Bubbler" aka: airstone is simply for looks in this case and offers no filtration. Also, I am not sure if this tank has a heater, but Bettas are tropical and require water temps in the High 70's F.
If within budget, I strongly suggest investing in at least a 5G kit with Heater / Filter. This will save you alot of frustration, and water changes. You could also look into Used local classifieds.

Just saying :)
Always more fun Fish keeping when everything is going right.
Happy Fish Keeping :)

+1 for that info!
Please don't ask the LFS for gravel either, since they tend to have alot of bad things going on in their tanks.

Yes craigslist is great for that kind of stuff. I am picking up a 40 gallon long tank on Thursday with filters, lights and decor for 25$ bwahahah. I strongly suggest you check it out! Sometimes you have to watch it for a while before anything good pops up though

Lol yeah right! Need... more... too many fish too little tanks! Lol. I am going to try and set that up at my mom's house, and then work on upgrading the tanks I have now :) Getting some T5HO's soon for the 29. Oh and the 40 wont be set up for a while, but you gotta admit that is a good deal to pass up!

Thanks guys, but I really don't have the funds for all of this. That's the biggest problem! I have substrate from his bowl in the tank now, and I'm watching him carefully. I'm going to do water changes every day, but I can't pay for all of the things needed to cycle a tank properly.

All you need to cycle the tank is a 90% water change every day :)

You REALLY need to put some sort of filter and heater in there to make your betta happy. A sponge filter is very cheap and easy. :)

I'm not being mean, but if you aren't able to afford the proper equipment, etc, to properly care for fish, maybe now is not the time for you to do this. I admit, I made the same mistake myself when I started. Thought all I needed was a 15 gal tank kit and FOUR (dear god, the things I've learned!) goldfish. LOL! Found out with time, research and the unfortunate deaths of my fish, that it really does take some money to do this right. Otherwise, all you end up doing is torturing the fish unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom