Non-Aggressive Male Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MiaMaria

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
On July 23rd, (so a little over a week ago) I purchased a beautiful bright blue male Betta from Petsmart. His name is Gillbert, and I don't know how old he is. Anyways, I've been very careful with him; he is in a gallon fish bowl. I de-chlorinate his water using drops that I bought from the store and he has a sprig of bamboo in his tank, which seems to clear the water really well. I feed him every other day, and he gets one or two fish pellets and two or three freeze dried bloodworms. Last night, he couldn't eat. If he happened to swim near enough to touch a pellet or worm, he'd nip at it but it seemed like he couldn't see the food at all. He wasn't responding when I touched my finger to the glass or to his reflection in a mirror held up to the glass. Fearing the worst, I was afraid that he was blind. This morning, I changed his water and while in his little cup, he ate food. He is responding to my touch on the glass now. The only problem is that he's not showing an aggression to his reflection. He follows it if I move the mirror, but eventually gets bored and swims away. I tried the reflection test a few days ago because I wanted to see him flare, so I know he responds. I'm just slightly weirded out and want to know what could cause this sudden loss of aggression, and if it is bad or nothing to worry about.

It's probably a couple of things. First, he's probably just still getting adjusted to his new home.

Secondly, since the bowl is newly setup, you should check and keep an eye on your water parameters. Chances are you're starting to cycle and elevated levels of ammonia in your tank can cause him to not feel so well. If you have a test kit, check the ammonia and nitrIte levels and see where we're at.

If you're not familiar with what the nitrogen cycle is, it's the core of what happens in our fish tanks to keep the water inhabitable. Down in my signature is a link that'll explain everything.

Congrats on the new fish!

You can't really cycle a bowl that doesn't have a filter can you? There is no place for the bacteria to grow and every water change will remove what is in the bowl. I mean, I guess it would start to cycle, but you can't cycle a bowl (I didn't think?).

Can you get something bigger than a one gal bowl? That really is too small. Something like a 5 gal tank would be better.

Nelanh: Thank you so much! I was wondering about his water and if that was messing with him. I did a water change today and wiped up the inside of his bowl a little bit. I'm planning on getting a test kit for the water, a tank, and a filtration system tomorrow. Any idea what the best tank would be for him?

BeavisMom62: I don't like his bowl anyways and I was planning on a new, bigger one. And I have no idea about cycling so I don't know if you can cycle or not, but supposedly if you don't completely change the water, it helps to keep good things and dilute bad things. I have no idea though. And do you know of a specific tank brand that I could use?

:lol: Just to clear some things up:

Your betta can probably survive in that bowl... but it's not a good environment for it.

Your betta wants (and really needs!) a heater and a filter. Temperature 78-82*F.

A 5gal tank is a suitable home for a betta, if you need to keep costs down you can do with a 3gal. Brand doesn't matter, although if you want a kit I've done well with the Aqueon ones.

As far as cycling a bowl - the bacteria lives in large numbers in the substrate as well as the filter, but not really in the water. So changing 95% of the water in a bowl is a good idea (especially without filtration) as long as you keep the gravel wet. Yes, a bowl will cycle, but it's just a poor home for a betta in the first place.

This is not a criticism of you MiaMaria - I kept my first betta in a bowl as well :( I'm just here to let you know what your fish will like best :)

DKPate seems to be our resident betta master! She can tell you what's best.

taylorodw: Thank you so much! I kept a Betta in a bowl when I was little, so I thought it would be okay, but after reading this site I pretty much decided to buy a tank. :] I was also kind of worried about his bowl temp, so I'm going to get him a heater to go with his new tank. Thank you so much for the advice! I'm just glad that so many people have come up and said he needs a better home. I had no idea. :] Thanks!

There is all sorts of information online about the nitrogen cycle. I'm sure that there is alot right on this forum. If you have a tank with a filter, it WILL cycle, its just that there are things that you can do, namely water changes and testing the water, to keep it safer for your fish. Good job for looking for information to keep your betta properly. It seems like bettas and goldfish are the victims of lots of misinformation and mistreatment. All it takes is some research and a little bit of work.

ANything will cycle. The bacteria will live on whatever surface they can. Substrate, glass, anything. They prefer filters, because of the high flow of water and higher levels of oxygen, but can live anywhere wet basically.

All good advice above. I recommend a 5g tank with a heater and a filter of some sort. Larger tanks are also better for decorating and making something you enjoy looking at.

What is the smallest that I can go? I have limited space and money.

I wouldn't do less than 3. The difference in price between a 5 and a 3 is almost nothing. But, if you're space limited that's a different story.

5s don't take up much more space than a 3. I got a 5g kit here in MI for 30$. Everything I needed to have a functioning tank. That is where my betta is :) 3 gallons would probably be OK though, he seems to stay in one side or the other depending on his mood but he doesn't carouse the whole place lol

Thank you so much! I will check out my tank options and my LFS.
I have a question about cycling though. Is there any way to cycle his tank with him in it or does it have to be fishless? Also, what is the best heater?

you are already cyling the bowl if you know it or not. you can cycle the tank with out him in it but since you already have the betta its best to move it over to the bigger tank. when cycling with fish you have to do more water changes when you just start out you should be doing daily changes to keep the ammonia in check. i would get a test kit. you can get them for $20 at walmart.com.

Walmart.com: Freshwater Master Test Kit: Fish

Yes, the tank I got was at Walmart as well. Fishless cycling is so much better and easier on the fish IMO. Here are some helpful links to help you understand why. In short it is painful for the fish and it shortens their life span and burns their gills.

Nitrogen Cycle

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

Also, I just realized that you are planning on getting a tank for him lol , I just posted in your other thread asking if you would be doing this or not. So disregard that lol. Welcome to AA! And that is the cheapest I have seen that kit that gamer posted for you above. Good kit I really like mine

i had a betta in a 3g bowl, survived a quite a long time till a accident occurred ( not my fault ), you can use products to help reduce ammonia, but that aint the right way to do it, you really want to have a tank, dont have to be a 10g, anything with a filter/heater would be great, like seriously ANYTHING with a filter/heater would be great because you get to cycle. ^_^

Arghhh!
Had this all written up, and of course Power went out! ...

I would recommend maybe looking at Local ads (like Craigslist). You would be surprised what you can find at low price.

As for the cycling with your Betta, just keep an eye on your water Params. Keep the Ammonia & NitrItes below 0.25PPM. Keep up with your water changes every 2-3 days. Whatever you do, don't change your filter media. If it gets too dirty, just "Swoosh" it in the old Tank water (NOT in Tap Water as it will kill your good bacterias).

You might want to transfer over the ornaments & Substrate from your bowl to the new tank. This will help with your cycle.

Happy fish keeping :)

+1 to craigslist. Also, if you know anyone with a tank already you can try and get some filter media from them. Or from the LFS, they might give you some as well. Just make sure to keep it wet in transit so the bacteria doesn't die off. You can stick that in front of the filter media in your tank when you get it and it should help cycle with the quickness.

Just make sure you keep a close eye on your params and do water changes every day. When I put my betta in the 5 it went into a mini cycle. I changed 50% water every day, and am still changing water 2-3x weekly now that the cycle is over. Since it will be a smaller tank you will have to do water changes more often because the ammonia and whatnot will build up faster.

I bought an Aquaview 360 and set it up today. The bubbler on it is broken, but I'm getting a replacement part soon. The woman at the LFS was really helpful; says she breeds bettas and suggested this tank to me. It's a 2 gallon. She says she has two of these and loves them! I'm really excited and Gillbert is enjoying the new tank. She said it would cycle out itself and I should be good without cycling it. I bought him some new bamboo and put some of the old substrate form his bowl into the tank. He's totally happy now, swimming around and eating and such, and even flared at a bamboo root. They were out of the heater that I plan to buy, but I'll get one ASAP. I did forget a test kit, but I'll keep up on my water changes and be careful to clean it up. Thanks so much for all of the help! Gillbert and I both thank you. :]

30039-albums1032-picture7184.jpeg

Here he is in his happy new home! I'm going to get some more plants soon.

Back
Top Bottom