Non Aquatic Plant help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have been on here long enough to know that Petsmarts plants are not always fully aquatic. I was there today and looking at their plants (I noticed the ones that are not fully aqautic have a label that says "for aquariums por terrariums" new?) and I saw a few non aquatic plants I want to grow. The thing is that I want to grow them with the roots submersed but the leaves and such emersed. Is there a trick to knowing what plants I can do that with? I had my eye on a grassy plant (dont remember the name), lucky bamboo, and peacock fern. I really want the peacock fern! The thing is that with the setup I have been planning the roots will be submersed (I was going to fill the filter with gravel and grow plants in it). Will that be ok for the lucky bamboo and fern? I know you cant tell me on the grass plant probably without a name but it was thin and dark green.
Thanks in advance and God bless!

Was the grass plant Kyoto grass?
You should be able to grow all those plants like that just fine. I have lucky bamboo that I grow with the roots underwater and the leaves above the water and it does great, so I think it would do fine in the set-up you are describing. I am honestky not positive about the others, but I would think they would be fine as well.

I think it may be kyoto grass thanks! So you think even the fern would be ok with its roots in the water? It will still be in gravel too but it will be flooded. Thanks!

GodFan said:
I think it may be kyoto grass thanks! So you think even the fern would be ok with its roots in the water? It will still be in gravel too but it will be flooded. Thanks!

Any plant in the world will grow with its roots in the water it's called hydroponics as for fully aquatic plants I am not to sure I have a few plants that break the surface but then are usually trimmed

Oh ok I thought some would die with to much water. Thanks!

Some do die if their roots are never aired out (I know specifically that some orchids are not suited for hydroponic growth).
I think these semi-aquatic plants are fine for this set-up though. Anything thats labeled as "semi-aquatic" should have no issue with the roots underwater. :)

Some do die if their roots are never aired out (I know specifically that some orchids are not suited for hydroponic growth).
I think these semi-aquatic plants are fine for this set-up though. Anything thats labeled as "semi-aquatic" should have no issue with the roots underwater. :)
But its petsmart. They arent listed as semioaquatic. They are "acceptable for aquariums and terrariums". I know they wont work in terrariums so I assumed that meant they would be good for hydroponic growth.

GodFan said:
But its petsmart. They arent listed as semioaquatic. They are "acceptable for aquariums and terrariums". I know they wont work in terrariums so I assumed that meant they would be good for hydroponic growth.

And in most cases yes but of its not taking being semi submersed then you know it's aquatic so submerse it

That was a general statement I made I will rephrase almost every plant can be grown hydroponically

When I was in PetSmart a couple days ago, all those plants you listed had stickers on them that said "semi-aquatic." Thats why I remembered the Kyoto grass, because I was just looking at it not too long ago. :)

image-3264632966.jpg

Got these plants from petsmart had them completely submerged few weeks and now only roots are wet and they are doing fine either way and look nice IMO. Don't know what they are called but hardy things :)

Ok thanks yall! I dont have room for alot of semi aquatics but I will definetly try some!

If you don't mind, it would be great if you could keep up updated. I totally agree that the peacock fern looks awesome. I was actually looking at it longingly wishing it was a fully aquatic plant on my last trip to PetSmart. Same with the Kyoto grass. :)

View attachment 75991

Got these plants from petsmart had them completely submerged few weeks and now only roots are wet and they are doing fine either way and look nice IMO. Don't know what they are called but hardy things :)
Those are a species of Dracaena. They are commonly called ribbon plants (either white ribbon or gold ribbon depending on the exact species of Dracaena I believe). Just so you know. :)

Absolutly! I am going to wait a couple weeks because I have a few fry in the tank now so they dont get eaten in the main tank. I dont want to fill the filter with gravel while I have livenearer (at least 2 are black mollies) in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom