non cichlid tankmates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kee

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello. I currently have a 60 gal with 2 yellow labs, 1 hongi, 2 sp.4's (I think thats what theyre called) and 4 peacocks. They are all juviniles now and small.. I know in time they will grow :eek:

But I was wondering if there were any other fish I could try and put in :confused:

Even if it were a few small teenie tinies that wont grow large- I just want alot of activity and color.. Not size really.

Any suggestions?

kee

I'm pretty sure full grown you overstocked as it is... what filtration are you using?

I know its not overstocked- not by a long shot. But the filtering is a rena xp and also a hob aquaclear 110. I also do the weekly water changes between 30-50%.

It's not overstocked? 9 cichlids, cichlids average 5-6in full adult size. 9x5 is 45, 9x6 is 54.

You have 45-54inch, plus the hex is more tall then long, so I think your overstocked.

It depends on the personality of the fish, and I am a firm believer that the inch per gallon rule should only be used to keep people from buying 20 fish on the same day they buy their tank. Once you get past a certain stage, the number of inches in a tank becomes irrelevant, within reason.

thanks for the 'opinions' and personally I think the 'opinion' I will take- is my own :)
I am agreeing more with krap101- because at least he is open minded without the condescending tone that most have on here when people are asking for advice.
I am looking at MY tank and the personality of MY fish. Thanks again - and sad that no one gave me any advice (besides krap101) and I thank you for the advice. I realize that fish grow yes- and I realize that even though my fish wont stay small, right now its very sparse and thats MY opinion ( i have one too) thats the beauty of places like this- you can get alot of different perspectives, but in the end, in real life- we can make our own decisions :)

kee

Understand that this isn't an excuse for stuffing the tank, just pointing out the flaws in the inch per gallon rule.

I'm not that familiar with these fish, but it sounds like a quasi-african tank, where there should be alot of hiding places and breaks in the line of sight. You also need to understand that (assuming that it will be overstocked) there will be a need to upgrade.

Thirdly, my opinion may have been more agreeable to you, which makes it easier to swallow, but that doesn't mean that is right. You can make your own decisions, but don't disregard what everyone else says because it is contrary.

ehem, lectures over..

the heading of my question was NOT is my tank overstocked- all I wanted to know was can any non- cichlids live with cichlids?? There are alot of more classy ways that my questioned COULD have been addressed- and even adressed the issue of overstocked (even though thats not what I was asking.) I have noticed here that so many people seem to want to one-up each other or outdo each other and put people down. That's so not cool. I genuinely came for advice, and am dissapointed yet again that my question was overlooked for semantics.

kee

first off- krap101 your opinion is just that as well.. An opinion, and not really that more favorable lol. All I was saying is that your tone was one of guidance, not one of tsk tsk ness or condescention and I genuinely appreciate it. I'm a grown up- and can honestly 'take it' when people don't agree with me. Because again, in the end- I will do what I want as anyone else would. I just wanted feed back and got it so its all good

I'm just saying- people need to exercise netiquete. That's what I was taught, and try to teach my kids- treat others the way you'd want to be treated. So rude, pompous, arrogance immediately turns me off- even if correct. So my tank as in life- will be live and learn

Smiles!
kee

and one more thing.. and this goes back to the crux of what I have been trying to convey. And this is to you especially Mr. K- you don't know me, never chatted with me etc.. And since this is internet- you can't always grasp the correct connotation in which someone is speaking (typing) or at least how the author wants it to come across. So please- do NOT tell me what to disregard or regard- because YOU didn't get the question what I was asking either. So thanks for the advice- but no thanks. All I was asking was were there non cichlids that can live with cichlids- I googled it, got conflicting advice and wondered peoples opinions on THAT only. So again, I get it- you all say the tank is overstocked for all intents and purposed.. But have you all ever thought that possibly I may have another tank? Or a larger tank? It seems as though everyone is just on this broken record that this tank is overstocked. Got it. But did anyone get my original question?? Or was that just lost because I disagreed with you?

Sorry about that. Generally catfish do better with agressive tankmates, or something fast moving. (have no idea why or if my experience was just different) Plecos (you already have one) SAE's (had some with my brichardi pair) and possibly some of those syndontis cats. I'm thinking you should stay away from cories and oto's, but then again, I have no personal experience with these fish (africans). Assuming they stay on the bottom, you could probably add some danios or some hatchetfish, but this is going off of me thinking and not me doing..

that's what I'm talking about :)

Have a great night.

kee

Anything that can be fit into the mouths of your africans will be fair game for them. So consider that when full grown they reach close to 6" so you want fish that will be large enough for that.

Also, you are right your opinions and experiences are your own. I just think you might have to keep an eye on things a little bit more with that many territorial fish is all. Not saying it can't be done....

Often times people will severely overstock an african tank in order to disperse aggression. While, I wouldn't recommend that personally as it means more and more water changes it is an option. I believe they also minimize hiding places so as to not allow territories to be developed. Good luck! keep us updated! and I'm sure we would all enjoy pics.

FWIW I have had many more Mbuna and Peacocks in a 55g than kee has in her 60g....without major issues. ;) Mine were not full grown and not matured and I had many females and only 1 or 2 males of each species.

Anywho....back to your question. Synodontis catfish (petricola, multipunctata) are compatible with cichlids and would thrive in the high pH and hard water. I know I mentioned loaches (skunk or yoyo) to you in chat once but after doing some reading, it seems they prefer a neutral or more acidic pH. So, they may not be a great choice for your water...though they'd make fine cichlid tankmates aggression wise. :)

FWIW I have had many more Mbuna and Peacocks in a 55g than kee has in her 60g....without major issues. Mine were not full grown and not matured and I had many females and only 1 or 2 males of each species.

The overstock statement was made because it was a hex tank not a 4ft wide standard tank is all

thank you all for your input. Its appreciated

thanks

I'd say you could fit one or two synos. The tank isn't overstocked so much as the middle swimming space sounds full. A couple synos or a bristlenose pleco would occupy the bottom space of the tank and that'd fill you out IMO.

Back
Top Bottom