non-fish tank advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColeJenae

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone,
We've got a 15 gallon gravel bottom tank with 2male 4female Platies, a hand full of mild colored guppies,and one male crown tail betta,and a huge snail infestation. They all get along very well, wasn't sure how the beta's reaction was going to be to his new tank mates at 1st, but there have been no problems. Now we are interested in getting some more exotic life in the tank, was thinking about some non-fish tank mates, but not to sure what would go well with what we've already got, any advice?

Hi and welcome. Can you answer a few questions first to help us understand your situation? Is this a 15 long (24 x 12 x 12 approx) or a 15 high (20 x 10 x 18 approx)? What size and type of filter are you using? How long has the tank been up and running? Is it fully cycled? How many guppies are you considering a handful? Are there live plants in the tank?

My concern is that this tank seems really overstocked already. However, if it is a 15 long and you have good filtration, have some hiding places in living plants, and the number of guppies is lower than I imagine, you might be able to add a few larger species of shrimp or a mystery snail. Many platys and bettas attack and eat small shrimps. Let us know what your system is---you might want to get a bigger tank for a community and have your betta stay in the 15 with a few less colorful and quieter tankmates.

Great comments or go with all male guppies and rehome part of them. Mystery snail or 2, Amano shrimp. Just watch for aggression. Shrimp you should wait untill the tank is cycled and running well with out fluxuations in water parameters for a couple months, no fish loss - stable. You can alway double (or triple) your pwc each week to help with the load and double up on filter pads if you can fit it in your HOB filter if that is what you have. You obviously love fish and another tank sounds like a splendid idea.

replay

So my tank is 24wide by 14deep by 14 tall and only filled 3/4 filled its been up and running for little over 6 months the newest fish have been added a week shy of 2months yes fully cycled levals have reached normal again. I am planning to transplant most to a larger tanks(25 gallon) soon as it is ready and was 3male guppies and 6females until one gave birth to nearly a dozen Fry's and the fish didn't eat as many as expected there're about 8that have grown to 3/4 inch now. I am not sure off the top of my head on the filter system I can check as soon as I return home. And no love plants but plunty of bidding spots.

replay2

Would there be any non-fish tank mates that would help with my snail infestation ? They are breeding faster then I can feed them to my betta

Assassin snails will take care of the problem. Even though others have said it isn't so, my experience is that they will also kill shrimps after they've finished off the snails, so keep that in mind. Another simple solution is to drop a piece of blanched zucchini in the tank. The snails will congregate there and you can dispose of them easily. Repeat until you get them under control.

replay3

I've been told by a buddy that there are shrimp that eat snails is this true and if so what type are they?

While not a shrimp exactly, Dwarf Crayfish will eat live snails. I wouldn't put one in your tank though, as depending on the crayfish's personality it might try to snag pieces of the betta or guppy tails as they swim by. They're fun critters, but not usually suitable with long fins.

I don't know of any other shrimp or shrimp relatives that will eat snails.

Back
Top Bottom