Non-shy corys? Do they exist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

g_adams27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My wife and I finally graduating from a 10 to 55 gallon tank, and I'd like to put a number of cories in the tank. I really enjoy them, but I wish they weren't so shy.

Can't change their nature, I guess, but I was wondering if there were any varieties that were perhaps a little braver than others. I don't know what species it is, but my parents have a couple of cories that are white with dark green stripes on it that seem to maybe be a little more curious and less shy that the others. (Their bronze ones just hide most of the time, though).

Just wondering - thanks for any ideas!

I have peppered cories and love them. I think that if you get a large enough number of them (5 or more) they will be much more active and less shy. I've read in quite a few places that one should buy at least six. My five seem to be fine though they do spend plenty of time in the heavily planted section of my tank.

And, congrats on the new tank!

we only have 2 bronze cories, and they are all over the tank most of the time...although they do hide in the back every once in a while.

I have albino cories and they are usually out all the time. My trilineatus, sodalis, and panda cories hide alot....especially if I'm near the tank.

I think if you get a big group of the same kind, they should be braver and stay out alot. I'd get atleast 8 of one kind. The seem to do better in larger groups.

This depends both on how large a group they are in and if there are other fish in the tank that intimidate them. For a more active cory that swims in both the lower and middle levels of the tank, you might want to check out the dwarf cory varieties. I've got Pygmy Cories and they're a blast.

JustOneMore20 said:
My trilineatus, sodalis, and panda cories hide alot....especially if I'm near the tank.

Interesting - my panda cories are ALWAYS out and about. The never stay still and they often play follow the leader "running" back and forth along the front of the glass. Even when I only had one for awhile (his playmates died) he was active (more of an aimlessness and food hunt rather than the playfulness there is now that there are three of them again).

I think it is interesting too...because I had always heard that pandas were full of energy. Not mine....and I have 6 so its not like they're lonely. I just have weird cories!

I have albinos as well and they are not shy at all. I do have 5 of them so they are not lonely. They are filled with personality and are all over the tank most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom